Random game crashes on Steam (Proton) and Lutris

Questions about Wine on Linux
crmsntrckstr

Random game crashes on Steam (Proton) and Lutris

Post by crmsntrckstr »

Hi,

I figured I'll post my concerns here since the problem seems to be related to Wine, but feel free to direct me towards the right channels if I am making a mistake here.

I am having some problem with my games randomly crashing at times.
Recently, it was Monster Hunter: World running via Steam Play that is crashing almost regularly. I experience these crashes in other games as well (Dota 2, Overwatch [on Lutris]), though crashes happen less often on these games.
When the games crash, the screen turns into black (or grey, or some other color sometimes, but mostly those colors), and I have to hard reset the system since it stops responding.
I can't seem to access tty after crashing, either.

Here's my system information:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: DeusExMachina Kernel: 5.1.8-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Gnome 3.32.2 
           Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: Micro-Star product: MS-7C02 v: 1.0 serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: Micro-Star model: B450 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C02) v: 1.0 serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 1.50 
           date: 01/25/2019 
Battery:   Device-1: sony_controller_battery_70:20:84:3f:9a:ce model: N/A charge: N/A status: Full 
CPU:       Topology: 6-Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen+ rev: 2 L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
           flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 86412 
           Speed: 2172 MHz min/max: 2200/3600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2702 2: 2850 3: 1963 4: 1967 5: 3800 6: 3633 7: 2009 
           8: 1800 9: 2064 10: 1814 11: 3070 12: 2861 
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Vega 10 XL/XT [Radeon RX Vega 56/64] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: amdgpu 
           v: kernel bus ID: 1e:00.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.5 driver: amdgpu resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
           OpenGL: renderer: Radeon RX Vega (VEGA10 DRM 3.30.0 5.1.8-1-MANJARO LLVM 8.0.0) v: 4.5 Mesa 19.0.6 
           direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Vega 10 HDMI Audio [Radeon Vega 56/64] driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 1e:00.1 
           Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 17h HD Audio vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 20:00.3 
           Device-3: Sennheiser type: USB driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid bus ID: 1-2:2 
           Device-4: Sony DualShock 4 [CUH-ZCT2x] type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio,sony,usbhid bus ID: 1-8:3 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.1.8-1-MANJARO 
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: r8168 
           v: 8.047.01-NAPI port: f000 bus ID: 18:00.0 
           IF: enp24s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
           IF-ID-1: enp31s0f3u2 state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 1.14 TiB used: 233.63 GiB (20.1%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST1000DM010-2EP102 size: 931.51 GiB 
           ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Samsung model: SSD 860 EVO M.2 250GB size: 232.89 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 210.96 GiB used: 33.66 GiB (16.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb2 
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 17.25 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb3 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 53.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 43 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: amdgpu fan: 1284 
Info:      Processes: 333 Uptime: 49m Memory: 15.68 GiB used: 2.05 GiB (13.1%) Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: N/A Shell: bash 
           v: 5.0.7 inxi: 3.0.34 
I am using wine-staging v4.9, though it seems that Steam uses version 4.2 for Proton.

I have also tried to gather some logs when this happens. Here's one where I think some things could be seen.
However, it seems that this stack dump isn't always present when the game crashes.

Any help would be great, though I would understand if ever the problem isn't really with Wine.
Any pointers as to where the problem might lie would be fantastic, though.

Thanks!
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Random game crashes on Steam (Proton) and Lutris

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Random crashes are tough to troubleshoot. How often do the occur?

Btw, when the system completely breaks, that's not a fault of wine. Wine shouldn't be able to bring the system down.

First off, please report the issue is there's no report yet. Then, if possible, run wine with debug symbols to get a better backtrace.
crmsntrckstr

Post by crmsntrckstr »

DarkShadow44 wrote:Random crashes are tough to troubleshoot. How often do the occur?

Btw, when the system completely breaks, that's not a fault of wine. Wine shouldn't be able to bring the system down.

First off, please report the issue is there's no report yet. Then, if possible, run wine with debug symbols to get a better backtrace.
For the frequency, it varies per game. Monster Hunter World crashes several times during a session, while Dota 2 and Overwatch crash rarely from time to time. The symptoms are the same, though.
For your second point, I think it makes sense. Now that I think about it, Dota 2 doesn't run under Wine since Steam has a native Linux port on it. So this might be related to some other issue.
I might pass on reporting an issue since, as you said, this might not be a fault of Wine.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

You should look into the dmesg kernel log though, sometimes the graphics driver is at fault - that what happened to me a few times.
crmsntrckstr

Post by crmsntrckstr »

I'll try to look into that after the game crashes again. Thanks for the tip!
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

crmsntrckstr wrote:Hi,

I figured I'll post my concerns here since the problem seems to be related to Wine, but feel free to direct me towards the right channels if I am making a mistake here.

I am having some problem with my games randomly crashing at times.
Recently, it was Monster Hunter: World running via Steam Play that is crashing almost regularly. I experience these crashes in other games as well (Dota 2, Overwatch [on Lutris]), though crashes happen less often on these games.
When the games crash, the screen turns into black (or grey, or some other color sometimes, but mostly those colors), and I have to hard reset the system since it stops responding.
I can't seem to access tty after crashing, either.
Yeah this is wrong place to get support for these issues.

The correct places are:
Github: ValveSoftware/Proton Issues for Steamplay stuff (note: one issue per game title)
Github: lutris/lutris Issues for Lutris stuff

Since both of these projects use heavily customised Wine builds (and WINEPREFIX overrides).

From my reading around the subject... The AMD Vega graphics drivers are pretty flaky (vs. Polaris) and certainly can hard lock your system.
Your best bet is to try to ssh into the locked system (to check the system logs / journalctl) - if you can get in.
If it's a kernel panic (or leads to one) then you're a bit SOL.
In my experience, the Nvidia driver only kills my system - when my laptop overheats and locks up! It has other issues of course... :lol:

Bob
Keb

Post by Keb »

On a 64-bit system, Wine does not allow a 32-bit executable to use more than 2 GB of memory because the 32-bit program header has been compiled with a LARGEADDRESSAWARENESS (LLA) set to NO. This memory restriction to 2 GB causes random crashes.

to avoid this, open farcry2.exe with an hex-editor and patch it !

offset: FE
original data: 03
Put data : 23

enjoy

KEB