Transfer the applications from Ubuntu mate 16.04 to 19.04

Questions about Wine on Linux
utente2014
Level 2
Level 2

Transfer the applications from Ubuntu mate 16.04 to 19.04

Post by utente2014 »

Good morning,
I installed the latest version of winehq in Ubuntu mate 19.04.I want to transfer the applications I installed on Ubuntu Mate 16.04 to the new Ubuntu Mate 19.04 operating system. I would like to transfer everything in bulk because I have the license activated on the previous installation.
How should I do :?:
Thank you. :wink:
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Transfer the applications from Ubuntu mate 16.04 to 19.0

Post by jkfloris »

If the Wine versions on 16.04 and 19.04 are the same, you could backup and copy your Wineprefix. The default location of your Wineprefix is /home/<username>/.wine
utente2014
Level 2
Level 2

Post by utente2014 »

I tried making the copy but eventually Office doesn't work. Before I had also installed playonlinux now the system has only installed WineHQ for me. I publish the two lnk files:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Microsoft Word 2007
Comment=PlayOnLinux
Type=Application
Exec=/usr/share/playonlinux/playonlinux --run "Microsoft Word 2007" %F
Icon=/home/mypconlinux/.PlayOnLinux//icones/full_size/Microsoft Word 2007
Name[fr_FR]=Microsoft Word 2007
StartupWMClass=WINWORD.EXE
Categories=

-----------------------------------

#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Microsoft Office Excel 2007
Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/mypconlinux/.wine" wine C:\\\\windows\\\\command\\\\start.exe /Unix /home/mypconlinux/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/mypconlinux/Start\\ Menu/Programs/Microsoft\\ Office/Microsoft\\ Office\\ Excel\\ 2007.lnk
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Comment=Con Microsoft Office Excel è possibile eseguire calcoli, analizzare informazioni e visualizzare dati in fogli di calcolo.
Icon=3D63_xlicons.0
StartupWMClass=excel.exe
Name[it_IT]=Microsoft Office Excel 2007
Error:
path not found.

Help me please.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/mypconlinux/.wine" wine C:\\\\windows\\\\command\\\\start.exe /Unix /home/mypconlinux/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/mypconlinux/Start\\ Menu/Programs/Microsoft\\ Office/Microsoft\\ Office\\ Excel\\ 2007.lnk
Change "/home/mypconlinux/.wine" (twice) into the new location.
utente2014
Level 2
Level 2

Post by utente2014 »

I reinstalled everything. It still does not work. Is version 1.6.2 compatible with version 4.0.1 :?: I also used Playonlinux to install in both cases. In this case, are there other operations to do :?:
Thank you. :roll:
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

utente2014 wrote:I reinstalled everything. It still does not work. Is version 1.6.2 compatible with version 4.0.1 :?: I also used Playonlinux to install in both cases. In this case, are there other operations to do :?:
Thank you. :roll:
@utente2014

This is very reason why 3rd party Wine wrappers, like Play On Linux, aren't supported on this site.

They give you "magic pixie dust" and everything works great until you change something... :shock:
Then everything is broken and you're left with no idea what's wrong... :o :(

Because you haven't read any of the WineHQ Documentation, you've no idea what's gone wrong and how to fix things...
The very documentation that new users of Wine are encouraged to read, when they first start using Wine...

See: WineHQ Forums: Welcome to the WineHQ Forums (New User Guide).

I always recommend new users of Wine, to read through the WineHQ FAQ and the WineHQ Wiki: Wine User's Guide.

There's nothing wrong with using tools like Play On Linux, Lutris, etc. - but it's not a good idea to use these tools if you don't understand how the underlying technology (Wine) is organised.

Bob
utente2014
Level 2
Level 2

Post by utente2014 »

Yes, unfortunately I don't know both instruments well, I admit my limit, for me they are useful for the purpose. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to study everything in detail. Possibly which parts of the documentation should I pay more attention to? Do you have any idea if there is a solution to my problem or not?
Thank you.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

utente2014 wrote:Yes, unfortunately I don't know both instruments well, I admit my limit, for me they are useful for the purpose. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to study everything in detail. Possibly which parts of the documentation should I pay more attention to? Do you have any idea if there is a solution to my problem or not?
Thank you.
@utente2014

Sorry 'bout the delay in responding... I've had my head down in one of my projects!

This is not how you troubleshoot Wine problems:

#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Microsoft Office Excel 2007
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Comment=Con Microsoft Office Excel è possibile eseguire calcoli, analizzare informazioni e visualizzare dati in fogli di calcolo.
Icon=3D63_xlicons.0
StartupWMClass=excel.exe
Name[it_IT]=Microsoft Office Excel 2007
I like to use the strings utility to extract the executable path from Windows lnk files:

strings "/home/mypconlinux/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/mypconlinux/Start Menu/Programs/Microsoft Office/Microsoft Office Excel 2007.lnk" | egrep '^C:\\Program Files'
Then start this application from the command line using this (note: the example below is using Office 2003 - which I happen to have installed - as an example!!):

export WINEPREFIX="/home/mypconlinux/.wine"
wine start 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE'
Note: you'll need to replace the Windows path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE' - with the output from the strings command, with Office 2007, installed on your system.

This is how you do troubleshoot Wine problems - directly from the command line.

If Play On Linux doesn't isolate your WINEPREFIX's, from your native Linux HOME directory, this can cause major issues.
Symlinked XDG directories, e.g. like:

"/home/mypconlinux/.wine/drive_c/users/${USER}/My Documents" -> "${HOME}/Documents"
may store application settings that will be external to your WINEPREFIX's.
These will not be transferred over if you move WINEPREFIX's between machines or Operating Systems.
This is why I introduced the winetricks verb (some months ago):

winetricks isolate_home
to remove these symbolic links. I run this winetricks verb on all new WINERPREFIX I create.

Bob