USB Support

Questions about Wine on Linux
fudd

USB Support

Post by fudd »

Hello,

I am marching to escape the Microsoft swamp. Ubuntu 19.x has matured nicely and woks well for all I need except a few olde windows appications I can't get source for. They all run beautifully on WINE 4.x except USB. They have to connect to external devices to play, kind of like lab instruments.

I have tried everything suggested on many old threads. These applications stream both data and audio through USB connections. The appear in /dev/bus/usb and WINE has no way to use them as far as I can tell. My current execution stack is WIN 7 PRO <-> VMWare Player <-> Ubuntu 64 19.x.

Is USB Support in the to-do queue?
It has been too many years ago since I wrote, C, C++, Smalltalk and Java, otherwise, I would volunteer my services here.

I really appreciate the WINE effort and the complexity has to be staggering given the MS Swamp.

Thanks,

Randy
Arizona
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: USB Support

Post by DarkShadow44 »

AFAIK there is no support for USB devices in WINE. Do you happen to know how the programs communicate with their USB devices? Do they come with their own driver?
fudd

Post by fudd »

Windows apps use windows USB APIs to talk via a Windows driver to USB connections. Each USB first time plugin downloads a matching driver - all in all a complex mess, oh well. Cheers.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

When there is a generic API callable from userland, then wine can do something there. When a specific driver is needed, you're mostly SOL. Dunno how USB usually works, so can't say which one it is.