Guild Wars 2 (Trading Post)

Questions about Wine on Linux
kumiponi

Guild Wars 2 (Trading Post)

Post by kumiponi »

Hi,

I upgraded to Fedora 30 and it currently has Wine version 4.8 (Staging).

Guild Wars 2, a popular free-to-play MMORPG, has a trading and gem store interface ("Black Lion Trading Company") that is implemented as a Chromium component embedded in the game, so it probably also uses its own networking routines separate from the rest of the game. In my Wine configuration it just displays an error message

Code: Select all

net::ERR_FAILED
in a dialog box. That's some generic Chromium error that doesn't really tell anything, I suppose. I've seen different errors when it temporarily can't connect to the servers fast enough.

I installed the latest stable Wine version from WineHQ and it works brilliantly. It installs to /opt so it won't interfere with the distribution's own Wine packages. Installing DirectX 9 with Winetricks makes the game run smoother. I'm using 64-bit Wine and 64-bit game client.

(I'm just writing this in case someone facing a similar issue finds it helpful.)
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Guild Wars 2 (Trading Post)

Post by lahmbi5678 »

It's ok, if it works for you with plain wine. Still I think, that you should file a bug report for wine-staging, here at https://bugs.winehq.org/ (wine and wine-staging share their bugs).