Nik Collection on Linux Mint 19.1

Questions about Wine on Linux
Hanspb
Level 1
Level 1

Nik Collection on Linux Mint 19.1

Post by Hanspb »

I have been running Nik Collection successfully in the past under Mint 18.x. Now after upgrading to Mint 19.1, I can't get it to run. I followed these instructions, as I also did the last time: https://www.evolware.org/?p=440
The installer runs and the installation seems to go fine. It only runs from command line, though, right click and 'open with Wine' does not work. After installation none of the Nik applications will run from the command line. Example:

Code: Select all

~ $ wine "$HOME/win32/drive_c/Program Files/Google/Nik Collection/HDR Efex Pro 2/HDR Efex Pro 2.exe
>
I also tried with a \ in front of all the spaces, no difference.

Wine version is 4.0 from wine-hq repo.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Nik Collection on Linux Mint 19.1

Post by Bob Wya »

Hanspb wrote:...

~ $ wine "$HOME/win32/drive_c/Program Files/Google/Nik Collection/HDR Efex Pro 2/HDR Efex Pro 2.exe
>
@Hanspb

In that particular case you've not completed the enclosing double quote " ...
The > marker indicates that BASH (or whatever shell you are using) is still expecting you to complete a string or command, from the previous line.

What you'd want to use is one of the following 3 combinations:
  1. Use a relative or absolute Unix path

export WINEPREFIX="${HOME}/win32"
    wine start /unix "${HOME}/win32/drive_c/Program Files/Google/Nik Collection/HDR Efex Pro 2/HDR Efex Pro 2.exe"
    - where double " quotes retain the meaning of env variables - like HOME in this case.
  2. Use an absolute Windows path

wine start 'C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection\HDR Efex Pro 2\HDR Efex Pro 2.exe'
    - where single ' quotes don't retain the meaning of env variables and simply pass-through all characters - including the special escape character \ - in this case (which is what we want)
  3. Change working directory, then run the executable directly

cd "${HOME}/win32/drive_c/Program Files/Google/Nik Collection/HDR Efex Pro 2/"
    wine 'HDR Efex Pro 2.exe'

See: WineHQ Wiki: Wine User's Guide: 3 Using Wine.
See: WineHQ Wiki: Start.

Hope that clears things up (rather than the reverse!) :lol:
Bob
Hanspb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hanspb »

Bob Wya wrote: In that particular case you've not completed the enclosing double quote " ...
Oops, that's embarrasing! Should have figured that one out.

What you'd want to use is one of the following 3 combinations:
  1. Use a relative or absolute Unix path

wine start /unix "${HOME}/win32/drive_c/Program Files/Google/Nik Collection/HDR Efex Pro 2/HDR Efex Pro 2.exe"
    - where double " quotes retain the meaning of env variables - like HOME in this case.
It works now. But do I have to set the wineprefix variable each time? I thought that was only before installation. I tried first with the fixed double quote but without "export WINEPREFIX="${HOME}/win32"", but then Wine didn't find the .exe.
Hope that clears things up (rather than the reverse!) :lol:
Bob
Yes, thank you :-)
Hans Petter
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Hanspb wrote:...
It works now. But do I have to set the wineprefix variable each time? I thought that was only before installation. I tried first with the fixed double quote but without "export WINEPREFIX="${HOME}/win32"", but then Wine didn't find the .exe
@Hans

If you do:

WINEPREFIX="${HOME}/win32" wine 'HDR Efex Pro 2.exe'
Then the env variable is only active for that single command.

If you do:

wine 'HDR Efex Pro 2.exe'
Then the env variable persists for that single shell session.
Starting a new terminal tab or window, logging out, etc. will clear the env of this variable.

You can clear an exported env variable with:

unset -v WINEPREFIX
When the WINEPREFIX is not set in the env, Wine will automatically fallback to using the hard-coded default WINEPREFIX:

"${HOME}/.wine"
Anyway, just glad I could help some! 8)

Bob
Hanspb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hanspb »

That reminds me that I used to know these things years ago when I started out with linux. Anyway I created a .bash-profile file and put "export WINEPREFIX="${HOME}/win32"" in it, that should make it permanent.

So next step is to get it working in Gimp with ShellOut, but I guess that's not for here.