Divinity: Original Sin 2 not launching

Questions about Wine on Linux
TheCaconym

Divinity: Original Sin 2 not launching

Post by TheCaconym »

Hello,

I'm hoping to get some help with running Divinity: Original Sin 2 through wine on Linux.
What I have tried:

[*] Wine-staging 4.6, with DXVK 1.0.3
[*] Wine-staging 4.6, without DXVK 1.0.3
[*] Wine 4.6, with DXVK 1.0.3
[*] Wine 4.6, without DXVK 1.0.3
[*] Wine 3.16, with and without DXVK 1.0.3

For all of the above, and based on wine appdb information, forum posts, and the like, I have also attempted:

[*] Setting library overrides for msvcp100, msvcp110, msvcp120 and msvcp140 as native.
[*] Setting library overrides for xaudio2_7 as native, then as disabled.
[*] Modifying the game config file for parameters FakeFullscreenEnabled and Fullscreen.
[*] Running the game through taskset -c 1
[*] Running the game with networking disable (through unshare -n).
[*] Running the game in chroot/debootstrap environments for Debian distributions jessie, stretch, and buster.

... and various combinations thereof.
The game launches but then is stuck on a black screen with the sound running and the custom game cursor displayed. This mirrors various bug reports on winehq but all of them point towards a bug fixed in wine 3.16; and as described above, I tried both with that version and the latest dev release wine 4.6.

As for logs: the game outputs nothing in its own log files (gold.log and network.log). Wine logs themselves contain little; and no ":err", only a few ":fixme". The behaviour is basically identical in all wine versions I tried, with or without dxvk, which makes me think dxvk is not involved. I get the usual wine or dxvk logs (depending on wether or not dxvl is enabled), and then a line saying:

Code: Select all

0009:fixme:dbghelp:MiniDumpWriteDump NIY MiniDumpWithHandleData
... and then the game itself (I think) dumps a core file named "CrashDump - MM-DD-YYYY HH:MM:SS.dmp", and gets stuck on the situation I described above.

I have attempted to read this dump file (it's described by file as a "Mini DuMP crash report") to get a stacktrace or something, through winedbg and an utility name "minidump2core" from the Breakpad project; but both failed to provide useful information. Attempting to use "WINEDEBUG=+d3d,+dxgi,+d3d11" and even "WINEDEBUG=+all" did not appear to yield useful info either.

As for the hardware used, the CPU is an i7-8700K and the GPU is a GeForce GTX 1070 TI with proprietary drivers 415.25.

I include a typical output log from wine 4.16 + dxvk (though as I said, it's not very informative) as well as one of the aforementioned dump file.

Thanks in advance for any information/suggestions that may help !
TheCaconym

Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 not launching

Post by TheCaconym »

Well, it is now working perfectly on Wine staging 4.6 + dxvk 1.0.3; under the exact same conditions where it didn't work before. I have changed nothing and I have no idea why it works now, but I'll take it, and hopes it stays that way. The only thing I can think of is a weird hardware-related issue.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 not launching

Post by Bob Wya »

TheCaconym wrote:...

I have attempted to read this dump file (it's described by file as a "Mini DuMP crash report") to get a stacktrace or something, through winedbg and an utility name "minidump2core" from the Breakpad project; but both failed to provide useful information. Attempting to use "WINEDEBUG=+d3d,+dxgi,+d3d11" and even "WINEDEBUG=+all" did not appear to yield useful info either.

As for the hardware used, the CPU is an i7-8700K and the GPU is a GeForce GTX 1070 TI with proprietary drivers 415.25.
@TheCaconym

The forum software is very fussy about file attachments. It only allows very small <200 Kbyte attachments.
Please just bypass this clunky mess and post your log file (and backtrace) as a Github Gist.

The game definitely works, for other people, using dxvk. E.g. see: doitsujin/dxvk: Issues: Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition (Steam AppID 435150) #1014
I would note that your Nvidia driver is out of date. I'm currently running the Nvidia Vulkan beta driver 418.52.03 (but Nvidia driver version 418.56 should be OK as well).

Bob