Office 365 works on crossover, but not on base WINE

Questions about Wine on Linux
Jenia
Level 2
Level 2

Office 365 works on crossover, but not on base WINE

Post by Jenia »

As far as I know, CrossOver is basically WINE with a pretty wrapper and some convenient scripts bundled, so this left me a bit confused.

Attempting to install Office 365 with 4.0 Stable or 4.6 Staging, I am able to finish the installation, but following that none of the apps work (anything from crashdialogues, bizzare error messages, to silently failing to start). I have tried following the various guides in the AppDB to no avail.

However, installing it with CrossOver, it worked immediately. So I took a closer look at what CrossOver seems to be doing before running the installer... The only things it seems to install are various fonts and msxml6 sp2.

However, winetricks does not seem to offer the sp2 version of msxml6. In fact, when trying to set up a custom install in CrossOver, it offers nothing but msxml6sp1 either. Custom installer for Office specifically, maybe?

So naturally, I tried manually downloading msxml6sp2 from the ms website and install it, but wine seems to error out on it, with a dialogue coming up saying the install was interrupted.

Any idea what I could/should do to make this work on a pure WINE base?
dimesio

Re: Office 365 works on crossover, but not on base WINE

Post by dimesio »

Jenia wrote:As far as I know, CrossOver is basically WINE with a pretty wrapper and some convenient scripts bundled, so this left me a bit confused.
Crossover is not vanilla Wine; they include hacks to make their supported apps work.
However, winetricks does not seem to offer the sp2 version of msxml6.
You could open an issue at https://github.com/Winetricks/winetricks/issues asking for it to be added.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@Jenia

The Crossover Wine source is freely available.
But this has all the Wine workaround patches, for specific Windows applications, pre-integrated into the (bundled) Wine source.
Sort of like the RHEL model.

Bob
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Bob Wya wrote:@Jenia

The Crossover Wine source is freely available.
But this has all the Wine workaround patches, for specific Windows applications, pre-integrated into the (bundled) Wine source.
Sort of like the RHEL model.

Bob
While that’s true it won’t compile without also using the following patch

I also like to patch wineboot so it functions like stock wine, and for macOS also patch the keys needed to quit wine to the standard macOS quit key combination.