Lots of games broken in Wine 4.6

Questions about Wine on Linux
paed808

Lots of games broken in Wine 4.6

Post by paed808 »

Hi. In Wine 4.6 so many games are broken for me. For example:

Sonic Mania used to work flawlessly, in Wine 4.6 there's no graphics at all, it's just a white screen and only sound works.
South Park the Stick of Truth worked fine, but in Wine 4.6 there's just a black screen and a cursor.
Trackmania Nations United Forever is missing a lot of textures in Wine 4.6 (everything but the vehicle is invisible)
Shantae Risky's Revenge is a blank screen also.

I reverted back to Wine 4.0 stable for now.

It should be noted I use old Ironlake graphics on the laptop I tested these issues with.
Here are my specs:

Code: Select all

Kernel: Linux 4.18.0-17-generic x86_64
Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
CPU:    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 520  @ 2.40GHz
        4 cores/threads
        2400.00 MHz
RAM:    7.59 GiB
GPU:    Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Mobile 
        OpenGL 2.1 Mesa 19.0.1 - padoka PPA
        GLSL 1.20
Let me know if this is not the right place to post this.

Many thanks to the wine developers but I hope they test on old hardware also to avoid bugs like these.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Lots of games broken in Wine 4.6

Post by lahmbi5678 »

File bug reports for the main issues, one for blank screen, one for missing textures, mention the most popular game title(s), post terminal output.

There's an ongoing effort to use Vulkan as a backend for wine's D3D9 implementation, i.e. use Vulkan as graphics driver, so I'd assume that you (and others) have fallen victim to that.

I don't think, that there's an issue due to old hardware here, since the games in question were developed for DX9 or earlier, and the i5 should easily cope with anything from that era.
paed808

Post by paed808 »

Okay, thanks I reported the first bug here: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=47039

I'll report the second bug later.
paed808

Post by paed808 »

I can confirm all the issues I described in the first post are fixed in Wine 4.7. The Trackmania issue was probably related to the same bug, as I didn't have to report a separate bug for that one.