I am struggling to update Wine to 4.0+ on Ubuntu...

Questions about Wine on Linux
FoxTrotte

I am struggling to update Wine to 4.0+ on Ubuntu...

Post by FoxTrotte »

Hey there !

With the release of Wine 4.0, the repository changed, so the website indicates that we have to uninstall our previous version of Wine, and then install the new one.

Thing is, on both of my Ubuntu machines, I can't figure out a way to completely uninstall Wine. The terminal is always throwing me errors while trying to install this new version, and these are apparently related to the fact that the previous version is still there somehow.

Can anyone provide my with a step by step guide on how to uninstall Wine ? That would truly be great !
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: I am struggling to update Wine to 4.0+ on Ubuntu...

Post by jkfloris »

You don't have to remove Wine. You should remove the old repo from your sources and use the new one.
The terminal is always throwing me errors while trying to install this new version
Can you post the terminal output of these errors?
(Please, use the forum

Code: Select all

-tags)
FoxTrotte

Post by FoxTrotte »

How do I replace the old repo with the new one ?

Here's the errors it was showing me, even though I feel like I didn't do things properly so it might not be important:

Code: Select all

E: Impossible de corriger les problèmes, des paquets défectueux sont en mode « garder en l'état ».
I'm sorry cause my Ubuntu is in French, but by my rough translation it says: E: Unable to solve the problems, defective packages are in "keep in state" mode.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

The repo's are probably stored in "/etc/apt/sources.list". Open this file with your favorite text-editor as root and delete all lines with "dl.winehq.org".
Follow the instructions on https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

If you still get an error, post the complete terminal output of each step.