Running civ 5 sdk with wine and wine-mono - crash on start

Questions about Wine on Linux
Blocks119
Level 2
Level 2

Running civ 5 sdk with wine and wine-mono - crash on start

Post by Blocks119 »

Hi , I've been using civ 5 for a while now and while civ 5 works fine for me without wine there is a sepparate application that is used to edit maps for it that is only available on windows, I tried to run it on wine and found it needed a .net framework and windows SP1 (an update thing for windows 7) , I have installed Mono within wine to act as the .net framework i need and it installed fine (downloaded the wine mono installer) , i tried to run it to see what errors i got : upon running the sdk with wine (32 bit or otherwise) it loads the startup menu fine however it can't open the worldbuilder or other applications linked to from the startup menu , for 2 it just closes and for the other 4 including the one i want to use (WorldBuilder) it just vaguely tells me 'An error occurred while attempting to launch application.'

i then tried to run the WorldBuilder application directly with this command :

wine32 /home3/home/Samuel/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/"Sid Meier's Civilization V SDK"/WorldBuilder/x86/WorldBuilder.exe

i get this error :

005d:err:module:fixup_imports_ilonly mscoree.dll not found, IL-only binary L"WorldBuilder.exe" cannot be loaded
005d:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Importing dlls for L"Z:\\home3\\home\\Samuel\\.local\\share\\Steam\\SteamApps\\common\\Sid Meier's Civilization V SDK\\WorldBuilder\\x86\\WorldBuilder.exe" failed, status c0000135

I've puzzled over it for a while , its clear to me that it simply cant load the exe however beyond that i'm not a wine wizard (that should be a book) and i would appreciate any help, hopefully we can find a way to get it working :)

thank you in advance and im sorry if its a glaringly obvious solution or i did something wrong in setup

just ask if you want any information about my wine setup ...
Blocks119
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Running civ 5 sdk with wine and wine-mono - crash on st

Post by Blocks119 »

Update : I beleive the error is because i dont have the .net framework installed in the wine environment, i thought that mono would cover this but either it doesnt recognise it or mono doesnt include the framework , anyways i have tried installing the dotnet40 framework with winetricks and it seems to have worked so far however at the final stage of install i get a poppup asking for me to agree to windows supplemental licence terms :

MICROSOFT SOFTWARE SUPPLEMENTAL LICENSE TERMS
MICROSOFT .NET FRAMEWORK 3.5 FOR MICROSOFT WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM
Microsoft Corporation (or based on where you live, one of its affiliates) licenses this supplement to you. If you are licensed to use Microsoft Windows operating system software (the “software”), you may use this supplement. You may not use it if you do not have a license for the software. You may use this supplement with each validly licensed copy of the software.
The following license terms describe additional use terms for this supplement. These terms and the license terms for the software apply to your use of the supplement. If there is a conflict, these supplemental license terms apply.
By using this supplement, you accept these terms. If you do not accept them, do not use this supplement.
If you comply with these license terms, you have the rights below.
1. SUPPORT SERVICES FOR SUPPLEMENT. Microsoft provides support services for this software as described at .
2. MICROSOFT .NET BENCHMARK TESTING. The software includes the .NET Framework, Windows Communication Foundation, Windows Presentation Foundation, and Windows Workflow Foundation components of the Windows operating systems (.NET Components). You may conduct internal benchmark testing of the .NET Components. You may disclose the results of any benchmark test of the .NET Components, provided that you comply with the conditions set forth at .
Notwithstanding any other agreement you may have with Microsoft, if you disclose such benchmark test results, Microsoft shall have the right to disclose the results of benchmark tests it conducts of your products that compete with the applicable .NET Component, provided it complies with the same conditions set forth at .

the thing is on all the wine forum pages... ive looked at it says its free to use and just to install it as i have , however these terms say 'If you are licensed to use Microsoft Windows operating system software'

am i reading something wrong? or downloading the wrong version? bacically is there any way to install it legally or to get it to recognise the wine mono version?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Blocks119 wrote: the thing is on all the wine forum pages... ive looked at it says its free to use and just to install it as i have , however these terms say 'If you are licensed to use Microsoft Windows operating system software'
Since most PCs come with Windows preinstalled, most people are licensed to use Windows. If you aren't, then according to the EULA you shouldn't install the redistributable.
Blocks119
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Blocks119 »

fair enough , unfortunate the licence is more expensive than a computer though :/
Blocks119
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Blocks119 »

ok i think i figured out the difference

there are multiple variants of the .net framework , the .net core is source available without windows and its even on the microsoft website for how to get it up on linux however the .net SP1 is not available freely and requires a microsoft licence , thankfully there are all the nessacarry parts of sp1 built into wine as is so i should be able to get it working if i install the .net core in the wine environment