Wine Forums

Board index » WineHQ » Wine Help » Linux

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Wine will not install
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:30 pm 
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

Brand new, first-time installation (new to Linux as well).

I'm running Linux Mint Mate 19.1 on a seven-year-old home-built system with an Intel i3 and 16 GB ram.

I followed these instructions instructions, and the last step running
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main'

then tried
Code:
Apt install wine

and it responded with
Code:
Package wine is a virtual package provided by:
  wine-development 3.6-1
  winehq-staging 4.5~bionic
  winehq-stable 4.0~bionic
  winehq-devel 4.5~bionic
You should explicitly select one to install.

I've tried the stable option but I get anything from
Code:
Package 'wine' has no installation candidate

to
Code:
winehq-stable is already the newest version (4.0~bionic)

I ran through the repository installation again, and it reported all as having already been installed.

I'm at a loss.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:55 am 

Starkman wrote:
I followed these instructions instructions, and the last step running
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main'

Reread the wiki page; that is not the last step, and from what you've said you did, you obviously weren't following the rest of the instructions.

Quote:
Code:
winehq-stable is already the newest version (4.0~bionic)

That suggests you did manage to install Wine. What makes you think it isn't installed?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:22 am 
Level 1
Level 1

So, I have to more lengthy pages to wallow through, trying to figure out, as a new user, exactly what I'm supposed to do to finish the...what, installation? Trying to run wine, as I've noted above, doesn't run. If it's installed, it should run, right? I mean, it should at least not be this difficult. But you're saying I'm not finished with the installation proces; I have to try to make sense of to two more pages of stuff.

I don't think so. I think I'll just move on.

Thanks.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:23 am 
Level 4
Level 4

Starkman wrote:
So, I have to more lengthy pages to wallow through, trying to figure out, as a new user, exactly what I'm supposed to do to finish the...what, installation? Trying to run wine, as I've noted above, doesn't run. If it's installed, it should run, right? I mean, it should at least not be this difficult. But you're saying I'm not finished with the installation proces; I have to try to make sense of to two more pages of stuff.

I don't think so. I think I'll just move on.

Thanks.

"Two more pages of stuff"? Where? Or were you throwing a rant with "OMG! I need to read TWO MORE LINES of text!"

Yeah, you are in for a real treat in the Linux world if you throw in the towel at reading two more lines of text :roll:

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:44 am 
Level 1
Level 1

Cybermax wrote:
"Two more pages of stuff"? Where? Or were you throwing a rant with "OMG! I need to read TWO MORE LINES of text!"

Yeah, you are in for a real treat in the Linux world if you throw in the towel at reading two more lines of text :roll:

No, no, no!

If I understood dimesio correctly, he said there was more to do on this page.
So, I scrolled down a bit, saw the installation off-line (don't need that) and then saw the section titled "Compiling WoW64."
Now, you go into that area, and there's two more PAGES, not lines, of stuff I understand I'm supposed to go through (I mean, dimesio said I didn't complete the last step; that's the only step I see left).

So, I'm lost here. I'm not going through all that stuff by myself, ending up doing who knows what in some foreign country! Not by myself, at least.

Further, the forums over on Mint told me to run a few lines in the terminal, and that got wine rolling
Code:
dpkg -l "*wine*"
wine --version
wine some-windows-program.exe

However, there were still issues. I'll do a new post on that.

Thanks.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:06 pm 

Starkman wrote:
If I understood dimesio correctly, he said there was more to do on this page.
So, I scrolled down a bit, saw the installation off-line (don't need that) and then saw the section titled "Compiling WoW64."

You scrolled down too far. The instructions you apparently overlooked the first time are right below the instructions for adding the repository, namely to run:
Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable

Quote:
Further, the forums over on Mint told me to run a few lines in the terminal, and that got wine rolling
Code:
dpkg -l "*wine*"
wine --version
wine some-windows-program.exe

You installed the distro package rather than the WineHQ one. It may be an old version; what does
Code:
wine --version

say? If it's not 4.0 or later, it's out of date.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:21 pm 
Level 1
Level 1

dimasio

Well, I didn't miss Sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable; I guess I just failed to go that far down as I was making the post.

I have version 4.0.

And finally,
Quote:
You installed the distro package rather than the WineHQ one. It may be an old version; what does

Well, I did what the instructions told me to do, at least as I understand it. I'm not sure how else I could have installed it otherwise.

So, should I uninstall it and install the one from WineHQ or will the one I have be able to update and all that?

Thanks.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:38 am 

Actually, I overlooked the * in your dpkg -i command line; that should have installed the WineHQ packages. What does
Code:
sudo apt list --installed | grep -i wine

return?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » WineHQ » Wine Help » Linux