help debugging an app when the screen behaves different

Questions about Wine on Linux
fargodwe

help debugging an app when the screen behaves different

Post by fargodwe »

I am trying to get a program to run in wine like it does in Windows. Currently there is a pop-up window the "doesn't" and a small set of 2 (for lack of better words) very small "icons" that the left most one shifts right replacing the other.

Is there a defined set of steps to take to try to figure this out?

Thanks in advance!
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: help debugging an app when the screen behaves different

Post by DarkShadow44 »

For starters, can you provide screenshots, the name of the program, and your wine version?
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

I'll see if I can figure out how to do images. I have never used one of those "share your photos" web sites. I did just sign up for Dropbox as it sounded like what i would need to share images to here. It's going to take me a little while so it may not be until tomorrow sometime that I get this all figured out. Thanks!
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

Ok, I'll try this now.

Wine version is the latest stable, downloaded last week.

The Windows program is Legacy Family Tree version 9. I downloaded this and can use it as the free version until I see it is working for what I need. It runs just the same it's just that some things are restricted to the registered version.

As a side note, I am running Legacy 7.5 in wine and it runs just fine.

The first problem:

When the program starts up it opens the individual it thinks is the default and show their family - spouse(s), children, etc. For some reason they have it programmed to show the children, then clear them off, then show them again - this is common between Windows and wine. It puts to "icons" to the upper right of the children area for access to other functions. In Windows the 2 "icons" remain but it wine after the refill of the children it shifts the left "icon" over the right "icon" so that only 1 shows.

The initial screen: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/seegqu5yl5a1 ... I5ywa?dl=0

If I make the screen a window the problem is still there: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/seegqu5yl5a1 ... I5ywa?dl=0

If you stretch the window both "icons" now show:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/seegqu5yl5a1 ... I5ywa?dl=0

When you go back to full screen the problem returns:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/seegqu5yl5a1 ... I5ywa?dl=0

The second problem is a little tricky. If you click in the white space between columns of children a pop-up appears to select what you want to do. When the available space for children isn't full there is a line, visible in the above screen captures, that says click to add children. In Windows it pops up the same selection box. In wine the box flashes once very quickly but never stays on the screen.

I hope all of this worked ok so you can see the screen captures as I didn't see a way to include images in-line in a post
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

fargodwe wrote:... I didn't see a way to include images in-line in a post
What about the large box, entitled Upload attachment, with Filename, Browse... button and File comment tags - immediately below the Full Reply Edit box? :lol:
This will easily allow image attachments to be posted inline, in a WineHQ forum post.
Upload attachment
Upload attachment
Note: the individual image / file size limit is: <200 Kbytes

Bob
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Sorry, don't quite get it - do you mean that # Symbol that is missing?
wine version is the latest stable, downloaded last week.
I'm sorry, but that doesn't say much - could still be years out of date. Please run the following code in the terminal and post the results:

Code: Select all

wine --version
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

So I just learned you have to click "reply" not just do a "quick reply" in order to get those boxes. I still don't see how to get an image in-line which is what I need to do. Trying to attach the images and it says the files are too big so now I have to try to figure out how to make a smaller file size but still so you can see what I'm talking about. I don't know just how I'm going to do that yet or how long it's going to take.

Isn't there a way to put them in-line?

Code: Select all

dave@dave-Inspiron-3520 ~ $ wine --version
wine-4.0
dave@dave-Inspiron-3520 ~ $
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

So I'll try this and hope it works. I have a tremor so things are not square or circular, but there is a red line around the parts in question.

Just to the top over the place for children, and on the right side of the screen, there is supposed to be a little person and a blue "+". When opened or when made back to full screen the little person shifts right over the blue "+". When taken from full screen to a windowed view they are both there like they are supposed to be. I also couldn't post the screen showing going back to full screen after being windowed but it is the same as the full screen one. The forum wouldn't let me attach more than 3 files.

The second problem I can't get a screen capture of. When you click on the blue "+" or when you click in the "whitespace" separating children horizontally it pops up a box to select what you want to do with a child. When I press the prtscn key that pop up closes so it doesn't show on the print screen. Well, this same box is supposed to come up when you click on the line after the last child that says "Click to add a child", but instead you see the pop up flash once extremely quickly and then it never shows. This is the second problem.

I believe that the program is now using codejock calls because somewhere in the thing I tried those dll's were shown. Can't find that for the life of me now.
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

I'm also going to try to attach a logfile which is just of starting the application, watching the "icon" of the person (or it might be 2 people - I don't see thing that small very well), and exiting.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

is https://legacyfamilytree.com/ the right program? Because that displays fine for me.
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

That's it. I wonder what the difference is? So when you maximize the window it still looks ok?

I'll try to recreate the prefix again. Doing so hasn't made any difference in the past.
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

Well now I don't know what the heck! I installed Windows 10 in place of Linux on my Linux laptop so I could see how Legacy 9 worked in Windows on this laptop. So strange - I *NEVER* see the blue "+" sign - never at all! The pop up when I click on click to add a child does work. This means it worked better in Linux than it does in Windows on this laptop.

So I got to wondering. Perhaps the video hardware for this laptop in conjunction with the driver is causing the problem. In Windows the device manager just shows the video hardware as "Intel (R)HD Graphics".

So, any ideas? This seems very odd to me. I may (gulp!!) save what I need off my Windows laptop, install Linux and wine, then install Legacy and see how it works on that hardware (it has 2 different video adapters).

I would like to know if the pop-up shows for you in Linux when you click on the click to add a child line. If it does work for you then it makes a difference on how I do a write up on Legacy 9 in Linux.
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

Ok, it has to do with the screen resolution. The laptop that I was runnling Linnux on and had the display problems duplicated the same problems when I loaded Windows 10 to it and ran the program.

I loaded Linux in place of Windows on what had been my "Windows" laptop and the display issue did not show.

So I was beating my head against the wall when I thought what about the resolutions? Well, the resolution settings on what had been my Windows laptop were a lot higher - 1920x1080 - compared to what was my Linux laptop - 13??x768. That's the difference.

What I don't understand is that the program seems to react to window resizing fine but not a maximized window.

So, at least I know what that is.

However the 2nd problem still persists - in Linux it won't pop up the window to work with a child if you click on the click to add a child line. There is a work-around but it would be nice to figure out what is causing that.

So. 1 down that is not a wine problem. Any ideas on the 2nd?
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

As it turns out, most if not all of this behaviour is common to Windows as well. One of the beta testers for version 9 in Windows explained some things to me early this morning to where she feels it is working for the most part as it should. Issue #2 she said is not important because it won't show up if all of the places on the screen for children actually have children in them. So - YEA!!

Thanks for your help!