App tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded

Questions about Wine on Linux
Ramin

App tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded

Post by Ramin »

Hi everyone
I am stuck for a few weeks and I really need help.
(I am happy to pay a good fee if anyone likes to help/consult and wants a payment for their time too).

What I want to do:
Run a x86/i686 Win32 app with a simple Window on the Raspberry Pi (any version of it) using qemu.

What works:
I can use the qemu-i386-static + binfmt + chroot (see below) on my system to successfully run:
1- I can run a x86 Linux console application
2- I can run a x86 Linux X11 application with a window
3- I can run my i386 build of Wine to also run a x86 "Win32 Console" application (yyyeayyy)

What fails :
4- I can NOT run x86 Win32 graphical applications. I get one or both of the following no matter what I try:

Issues:
Symptom #1: "Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded"
(Note I have already setup X11 such that my setup above can run x86 Linux X11 applications with a window)

Symptom #2: "wine-preloader: Unable to find space for application"

== DETAILS ==

Platform: Raspberry Pi 3B and 3B+.
Kernel: Built the latest Raspbian with a 3G/1G
Wine version: Built from source - latest commit:
commit 699eb8cdba8fe236f038550e2bd68a4cd2cab055 (HEAD -> master, origin/master, origin/HEAD)
Newer than wine-4.0
This is how I built it on Kubuntu 16.04 so I could run it inside a chroot:
configure --prefix=/work/wine/install && LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. make -j3 LDFLAGS="-Wl,-dynamic-linker,/work/wine/install/ld-linux.so.2"

QEMU: qemu-i386-static that comes out of box with Raspbian deb packages for 32-bit armv71/armhf
Environment: chroot into a debootstrap that this guy code_exec made here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1390094&sid=5f152faa76cedc4b28427cbd19d14079#p1390094

WINEPREFIXes that I tried so far - all fail:
WINEARCH=win32 as well as unset WINEARCH and the following:
1- Copied from my Ubuntu laptop which did run well on the laptop using the exact same Wine build,
2- Created one on the Raspbian using its armv71/armhf build of Wine which comes out of box
3- Created one from inside the chroot

They all give me the same errors as above.

Any help/suggestion please? Appreciated.