run wine windows application in background

Questions about Wine on Linux
eggdrop

run wine windows application in background

Post by eggdrop »

Hi there!
i'm using wine 32 bit for my windows 32bit application. When i starting it by wine myapp.exe its working.
but when i type nohup wine myapp.exe & wchich means that i want to run it in a background, it works only few secs.
After that it freezes and that is all.

Please help :(

i am using centos 7 64bit,
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Re: run wine windows application in background

Post by Cybermax »

Not too experienced in using nohup, but if your wine is compiled with X11 support, it may stop/crash when you logout perhaps?

I assume the purpose is to eg: login -> execute nohup wine myapp.exe & -> logout (and then have that app provide whatever service necessary?

Cos if its just to "run while you are logged in", I think I would just do: open terminal -> wine myapp.exe & exit
eggdrop

Post by eggdrop »

Cybermax wrote:Not too experienced in using nohup, but if your wine is compiled with X11 support, it may stop/crash when you logout perhaps?

I assume the purpose is to eg: login -> execute nohup wine myapp.exe & -> logout (and then have that app provide whatever service necessary?

Cos if its just to "run while you are logged in", I think I would just do: open terminal -> wine myapp.exe & exit
nohup is the command for running background processes in linux o_0
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

eggdrop wrote: nohup is the command for running background processes in linux o_0
It is not "the command" but "a command". :)

Multiple ways to run background processes in linux, so you are not stuck with nohup. The reason to run a background process with nohup could be that you want to log out the user. And if you try to run a wine program that might depend on a active X screen, I do not think that would work if you just log out even with nohup.

Get my point?

No point debating this tbh. You should rather explain WHY and HOW you want it. I tried giving an example tho. Is it a windows service thing you need to run in the background while your user is logged out?