Wiine won't install two programs

Questions about Wine on Linux
Tlmk3
Level 2
Level 2

Wiine won't install two programs

Post by Tlmk3 »

Can not install x32DBG.exe and Edb-Debugger. Running Ubuntu 16 in a virtualBox running on a USB 1.5T Hdd and desktop running Win7. Doing a course on UDEMY and trying to follow along. But can't install these two programs. Tried everything I've read. I've run windows since Win 3.1 and DOS, so I'm fairly good with Windows, but not so hot with Linux, but learning on the fly and with a book I bought. Kind of stuck, can anyone give me some advice? Do not know much about terminal nor about changing config files nor changing internal code of wine.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Wiine won't install two programs

Post by DarkShadow44 »

What does "can't install" mean? For x32dbg, aren't you just unpacking a zip file?
Tlmk3
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tlmk3 »

It umpacked just fine, Shadow, but when trying to install and run, I get an error. x32 shows the Program shell then an error says it's closing because of an error. With Edb, wine just won't run it. Error after typing "wine edb-debugger". Do I have to change something so that they will run? On the video from the Prof on UDEMY, his screenshots show it working on his desktop, which looks like Ubuntu, but his version of wine looks like maybe a couple of years ago. Got any ideas?
Tlmk3
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tlmk3 »

If you need screenshots, I'll figure out how to make them and add to reply. I have no problem in Windows, but have to research a bit to figure how to do it in Linux. Thx for your reply.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Tlmk3
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tlmk3 »

Yep. It might take a bit as I'm not all that swift with Lenux, but am pretty good at research and learning. Had to do it with most prgs in Windows...a little, very little, C#, Assy, Ollydbg, CCNA, and most of Win 7 prgs. Had to do it on my own since Win 3.1--cost too much for school. I'll figure out how and post in a day or so. ok? Can email me at [email protected] my most comfortable medium.
Tlmk3
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tlmk3 »

This is from edb-debugger. I removed x86dbg. I plan to reinstall again tomorrow. And Ill send the log file then. Funny how the UDEMY course video showed how easy it was to install. I've been horsing around with these two for two days now. Thx for trying to help, Shadow.
Screenshot from 2019-01-20 22-26-08.png
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

edb-debugger is a Linux program. Read the compiling instructions carefully and make sure there are no typo's.
The cmake command is

Code: Select all

cmake ..
instead of

cmake ../edb-debugger-1.0.0
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

x32dbg runs out of the box with the latest version. Which Wine version do you use?
https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
Tlmk3
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tlmk3 »

jk, what does the .. after cmake mean? I typed it that way before this last iteration. Both had the same effect--the terminal output was the same. I downloaded the latest version of wine I could find. Under .wine/"System.Reg" it says Wine Registry Version 2. This cmake thing was trying to compile Edb-debugger. I removed x32dbg yesterday and I'm reinstalling x32dbg today. When I tried the last two days, the error box said "This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows" in "". I have no idea what that means. So I removed it and will attempt to reload today. Do you have the URL of wine and x32dbg that you used? And why won't cmake compile edb-debugger? Thx for the help.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

edb-debugger
Compiling a Linux program isn't a topic for the Wine forum. You can find more information on:
https://github.com/eteran/edb-debugger/ ... g-(Ubuntu)

x32dbg
You can find your Wine version with

winecfg
# or
wine --version
Tlmk3
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tlmk3 »

my apologies jk, new to forums. for the last 30 odd years I have found my answers in books from the bookstore and some from questions already answered concerning windows on the .net. I'll remember this and keep my unsure-of questions on the right forum.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

There is no need to apologize. Your issues with x32dbg are still valid. (Running a Windows program with Linux via Wine)
Unfortunately, it is very hard to give the right solutions without a terminal output and without knowing your Wine version.

https://wiki.winehq.org/Wine_User's_Gui ... mmand_line
Tlmk3
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tlmk3 »

Screenshot from 2019-01-21 15-46-26.png
I'll try to submit screenshots of x32dbg. Got an error trying to run with wine. Version 1.6.2
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-01-21 15-49-13.png
Tlmk3
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tlmk3 »

Screenshot from 2019-01-21 16-08-40.png
Sorry, here's the first part of screenshot.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

Thanks for the information.
Got an error trying to run with wine. Version 1.6.2
The Wine version on your system is to old. Could you update to the latest version?
The Wine Wiki has step-by-step instructions.
https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
Tlmk3
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tlmk3 »

ok, jk. I give up. I totally removed wine 1.0.6 and do not have any wines. I've followed the instructions on the download page to the letter. and can't get the latest wine to install. I've got xenial's 4.0 on my desktop. What commands do I need to do to install this baby? The winehq key already downloaded. When I get to "Add the Repository" I follow the command to download xenial's main. I get > and I guestamated to type Xenial since nothing else worked. I checked with wine --version, and nope--not there. Can you give me some other instructions. If nothing else, I'm learning to get around commands.
Tlmk3
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tlmk3 »

Screenshot from 2019-01-22 20-06-59.png
jk, latest screenshot trying to install latest wine.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

E: Malformed entry 51 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list (Component)
Probably, you made a typing error somewhere.

You have to fix this file first. Could you post this file?
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

You know you can just post text, right?

Preferably using [code]
tags[/code]
Tlmk3
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tlmk3 »

Screenshot from 2019-01-23 10-30-49.png
Yes, it's easier for me in windows. But I'm slowly getting used to Linux. I'm fairly certain I'll have a good grasp by the end of Feb. Do I need to delete line 51? Or delete entire file and start over? Thx for taking time to help.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

Only delete the lines with the typo: ubunto (instead of ubuntu)
and the line with bionic

Don't forget to run

sudo apt update
after the modifications.