Guild Wars 2 choppy performance?

Questions about Wine on Linux
PauloAugusto

Guild Wars 2 choppy performance?

Post by PauloAugusto »

I'm having extremely choppy performance in Guild Wars 2. The game runs quite smoothly under «normal» conditions but whenever it is loading something new, ex when a new character approaches or previously uncast spells are cast, the game just chokes incredibly for quite a few seconds (even the sound gets choppy). When I enter busy areas where lots of other players are the game becomes mostly unplayable...

Does anyone have any idea what I might try to fix this?

---

I installed Guild Wars 2 (64b) through Lutris (default controlled installer) and also followed their instructions:
- Enable ESync
* Increased "DefaultLimitNOFILE"
* Set to run the Lutris Wine version "esync-staging-pba-3.18-x86_64
- Disable GLSL
- Set __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS to 0

I have decent hardware:
- 4 cores i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
- NVIDIA GK106M [GeForce GTX 770M]
- NVidia's proprietary drivers
On Ubuntu 18 LTS fully up to date running classic Gnome.

I seem to remember having read somewhere that not having ESync enabled could cause exactly those symptoms, despite me having followed the instructions to set it up. How am I able to confirm whether it's enabled or not for that installation / execution?
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Guild Wars 2 choppy performance?

Post by DarkShadow44 »

I'm afraid Lutris is not supported here. Can you try regular wine without any tricks? E.g., don't disable GLSL or __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS.
PauloAugusto

Post by PauloAugusto »

Ho, I see. I thought Lutris was just a layer on top of Wine - just Wine with carefully-crafted configs and automatically pointed to certain installation executables.

I actually had already tried with plain Wine previously, but I didn't even get past the installers though, to be honest, it was with Neverwinter and WoW, not Guild Wars 2, so I guess I can try that one.
PauloAugusto

Post by PauloAugusto »

What version of Wine would you recommend for Guild Wars 2 (released 2012 and DX9, if I'm not mistaken)?

- Ubuntu's 32b (3.0.1)
- Ubuntu's 64b (3.0.1)
- WineHQ 32b stable
- WineHQ 64b stable
- WineHQ 32b latest
- WineHQ 64b latest
?
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Always use latest wine from winehq, in this case wine-4.0-rc6.