There is no windows program configured to open this type

Questions about Wine on Linux
postcd
Level 2
Level 2

Post by postcd »

Hello,

my Windows app on Linux opens an file explorer window where is mp4 file and clicking on it says:

So i found https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ where is chapter "6.6.3 How do I associate a native program with a file type in Wine?"

But i do not understand that example on how i need to apply it to video files like mp4.

I already installed media player classic windows app thru Wine:
/home/ME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/MPC-HC/mpc-hc64.exe

What is the easiest way to associate all video types to this media player?
dimesio

Re: There is no windows program configured to open this type

Post by dimesio »

Generally winemenubuilder will make the associations when installing the app. If it didn't, you can make the associations yourself the same way you would for any native app, using whatever tools your desktop environment provides. I can tell you that for KDE, it's done in Configure Desktop => Applications => File Associations. Beyond that, ask for help on your distro forum; how to configure your desktop environment isn't really a Wine question.
postcd
Level 2
Level 2

Post by postcd »

I think You wrongly understood.
My Linux system (Thunar file explorer / XFCE4) opens mp4 and other video files good, problem is with Wine integrated file explorer or what is that (it has wine icon in the corner of the window).
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

You asked for "the easiest way to associate all video types to this media player," and that's what I answered.

As for why it doesn't work in Wine's file explorer, I think you may be running into https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11461.
postcd
Level 2
Level 2

Post by postcd »

Thx, please what is the workaround to this 10 years old issue of being unable to open file from Wine file explorer?
Can you please answer my last sentence in my first post?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

There is no workaround for Wine's file explorer that I know of.

As to your question at the end of your original post, I already answered it: the easiest way to associate all video types with MPC-HC is to do it through your desktop environment. That should enable you to open those files directly from your native file manager rather than bothering with Wine's file explorer at all.
postcd
Level 2
Level 2

Post by postcd »

@dimesio You think i can make Wine to open my file manager (Thunar) instead of stupid Wine explorer? I am using XFCE4.
I just tried to use MIME type manager and ressinged mp4 from Linux MPV to MPC-HC (windows), but the error message i described in first post still appears in wine ran apps (these was restarted after MIME change)

And how i can make wine apps to open folder in Thunar instead of in stupid WIne explorer?