What happened to "wine windows program loader"?

Questions about Wine on Linux
throatgorge
Level 1
Level 1

What happened to "wine windows program loader"?

Post by throatgorge »

I'm running linux mint 19 64 bit xfce.
The only time I EVER got WINE to work was using "wine windows program loader."
What happened to that program? I can't find it anywhere and nothing else seems to work.
WINE HQ has a "downloads" page... with WINE on it an nothing else, or if you have anything else there, you've hidden it very well.
wine playonlinux doesn't seem to do anything at all.
WINE keeps changing it up-- I'm telling you "wine windows program loader" worked like a charm... why can't I find it?
dimesio

Re: What happened to "wine windows program loader"?

Post by dimesio »

"Wine windows program loader" is what Ubuntu used to call (don't know if they still do) its Wine packages. The distro packages did differ from the WineHQ ones; the latter are plain Wine only. Ubuntu stopped packaging the development branch several years ago; I think they still package the stable releases, but you will have to get that from Ubuntu, not here.
throatgorge
Level 1
Level 1

Post by throatgorge »

OK FYI, in case anyone else has this problem, I found the solution after diligent searching and careful reading.

First off, I found this:
For right clicking to run an .exe file, you need wine.desktop for wine program loader to show up as an option in the "open with menu". wine.desktop still exists but is deliberately put in a "wrong" location, to restore it sudo ln -s /usr/share/doc/wine-stable/examples/wine.desktop /usr/share/applications/"

But still no "wine windows program loader," until I found this:

"Additionally, wine also adds an integrated utility to the file managers "open with" options, so you can open a windows app through the file manager:
This is usually called wine windows program loader.
You can see it when you right click on a file go to open with and view "other applications" if it isn't listed as on e of the 3 or 4 options in the main open with listings.
If that makes sense."

After scrolling down a long list of applications to open my .exe program in, I found it. After using it ONE TIME, it is now the default application every time I right click an .exe file.
throatgorge
Level 1
Level 1

Post by throatgorge »

Can't seem to edit the title of this to "solved." I'm requesting the moderator re-title my post after approving my solution. We Linux users would really appreciate having a hard to find work around like this handy!
shag00
Level 2
Level 2

Post by shag00 »

Works a treat.