Why can't I install the Toontrack EZDrummer 2 Update (.msi)?

Questions about Wine on Linux
JackTheRapper

Why can't I install the Toontrack EZDrummer 2 Update (.msi)?

Post by JackTheRapper »

Hi everyone,

I've had an issue with a Windows audio plugin for a virtual instrument for a while now. I use the Toontrack software suite in Wine and most programs work fine, however I can't install an update to their EZDrummer 2 plugin either with their host software, nor manually.

That update, if I'm not wrong now, is one of a few of theirs that is supplied as an .msi file only. The 32-bit version does work, but when I try to install the 64-bit version, I get an error message stating that it can't find an installation of the base-software.

When I try to install the update via console, I get this output:

Code: Select all

0066:fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
0068:fixme:ole:CoInitializeSecurity (0x33ec74,-1,(nil),(nil),6,2,(nil),8192,(nil)) - stub!
006a:fixme:ole:CoInitializeSecurity (0x33ec74,-1,(nil),(nil),6,2,(nil),8192,(nil)) - stub!
006a:fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
006c:fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
006c:err:msi:create_temp_binary failed to load dll L"C:\\users\\tux\\Temp\\msiddee.tmp" (193)
006d:err:msi:ACTION_CallDllFunction failed to load dll L"C:\\users\\tux\\Temp\\msiddee.tmp" (193)
006c:err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"CheckForFull" returned 1603

(I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 and the newest stable Wine version, installed as instructed on the website)

Does anybody know what could be going wrong here?
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Why can't I install the Toontrack EZDrummer 2 Update (.m

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Do you have the 64bit software installed?
JackTheRapper

Re: Why can't I install the Toontrack EZDrummer 2 Update (.m

Post by JackTheRapper »

DarkShadow44 wrote:Do you have the 64bit software installed?

Hi, yes. The 64-bit host is definitely installed. It also doesn't matter in which directory it is installed (default path or any other "simpler" path).

The same happens when I try to install it via their "product manager", which is also just a small program in which you log in and it downloads the packages for you. However, I can't install it via console in there, so it just says that it can't find the host application and shows no further info.

This also also followed me around for a year or so and I've re-installed my whole system I think twice in the mean time, so it's not strictly related to my installation, either. I've just accepted that I can't update at some point and even installed the 32-bit version once, since that one does update correctly.