FreeType fonts outdated?

Questions about Wine on Linux
Ikkarin

FreeType fonts outdated?

Post by Ikkarin »

Hello!

I was initiated to Linux very recently since my Windows partition blew up (I got it back, but I guess the charm of Ubuntu made me stay) and although I love it and am already getting comfortable with it, I'm an artist and Paint Tool SAI is an essential Windows painting software for me such that Krita can't replace it, so I need some help to get it running on Ubuntu.

My version of Ubuntu is Bionic Beaver (18.04.1 LTS) and the main issue is that, through the tutorials I've found scattered about the internet, I have tried to run Paint Tool SAI through PlayOnLinux with two Wine builds: 2.12-staging and 1.5.5-SAI, the patch made for the software. However, although Wine can launch it just fine with the first build, the program can't recognize pen pressure which is imperative for quality drawing. The build that allegedly should support pen pressure is the latter, which only seems to not launch the application at all just for me, since I couldn't find the following issue anywhere else. Standard versions of Wine not being able to emulate Wacom tablets' pen pressure seem to be a 5-year long standing problem so I believe it might be a better shot to try to get this patch to work.

This is the output of the debug.

Code: Select all

[12/08/18 22:01:42] - Running wine-1.5.5-SAI sai.exe (Working directory : /home/tatsuru/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/PaintToolSAI/drive_c/Program Files/PaintToolSAI)
Wine cannot find the FreeType font library.  To enable Wine to
use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than
or equal to 2.0.5.
http://www.freetype.org
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winex11.drv": libSM.so.6: não é possível abrir arquivo compartilhado: Arquivo ou diretório inexistente
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winex11.drv": libSM.so.6: não é possível abrir arquivo compartilhado: Arquivo ou diretório inexistente
As a newbie I can't detect if those fonts are really missing or if the problem is something ulterior to that. I might have done clueless mistakes while trying to fix the problem, and I've looked onto similar issues but none of the solutions there presented helped. I also can't run Wine independently, so I would appreciate a hand in that regard.

Any help is life-saving. Thanks in advance!
dimesio

Re: FreeType fonts outdated?

Post by dimesio »

PlayOnLinux, unapproved patches, and obsolete versions of Wine are not supported here.

It's true pressure sensitivity is a longstanding bug, but https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18517 is marked STAGED, which means there is a patch in wine-staging that supposedly fixes it. So try the latest wine-staging release.

As for the fonts, what Wine is complaining about is the Freetype version. Ubuntu 18.04 ships with a new enough Freetype, so my guess is that you probably neglected to install the 32 bit version of it.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@Ikkarin

PlayOnLinux is not supported on this site.
See: WineHQ FAQ: 8.7 I used a third party application (PlayOnLinux, WineBottler, etc.) to install or manage applications in Wine and need help.
With good reason. Wtf their scripts are still trying to ship a patched version of Wine 1.5.5. You've got to be joking! :roll:
Wine 1.5.5 was released on Fri May 25 20:21:15 2012!! :shock:

Total BS. Obsolete versions of Wine like that require much older system libraries (that are no longer available).

I tracked the POL patches to: Github: PlayOnLinux / wine-patches /custom/SAI/.
Then to: Bug 11846 - (Sai) tablet pressure sensitivity not working in Sai and many other key graphic applications.

So then I've rebased the pressure sensitivity patch (which was previously based on Wine 1.8) to Wine 4.0-rc1.
See: wine-vanilla-4.0_rc1-tablet_pressure_sensitivity_hack.patch.

You need to build Wine from source and apply that patch.

Bob
Ikkarin

Post by Ikkarin »

Thanks for the replies. The intent wasn't to find a solution for PlayOnLinux itself, since it all seems to be a Wine issue (according to the POL people themselves), so it's cool.
Bob Wya wrote:@Ikkarin
You need to build Wine from source and apply that patch.
I appreciate that you've put a patch together! Thanks!
But to be fair I have no idea where to start building, or what should I get to build it. The wiki pages about it are pretty detailed but too technical and as a Linux newbie I don't even know where I'm going or what to do with all these files, so if you guys could guide me through it'd be a lot of help.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@Ikkarin,

I noticed that you asked on irc, #winehq, about building Wine from source...

I have a Wine / Wine Staging (+optional multiple user patch directories) multilib, Syswow64 build script for Debian / Ubuntu on Github.
See: Github: bobwya / build-multilib-wine.
This script use dual Schroot (Debian Chroot) environments (32-bit + 64-bit) to do the building.

DO THIS >>> Start by reading the README, at the bottom of the Github page.
This should enable you to get started.
Just make sure that you have set up a full root user account (not sudo, i.e: so that you can do su -u root).
That's probably more to do with my scripting incompetence, then an actual hard requirement...!

Probably also best to generate and edit a global configuration file, to get you started:

Code: Select all

build_multilib_wine.sh generate-conf
Feel free to raise an issue or question, on the Github page Issue tracker, if something isn't clear or doesn't work! :( 8)

Bob
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

@Ikkarin: according to the latest comment in the bug report, the patch has been added to wine-staging, so you could just wait for the next release.