WineHQ
Wine Forums

Board index » WineHQ » Wine Help » Linux

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:07 pm 

Ok, I've tried to research about this, but so far no definitive answer:

I am updating PortableApps apps stored on a USB device, using Wine. My question is:

The files that are deleted when updating, where does those files go?
My HDD is a solid one The deletion of so many files at the same time is going to affect it?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:57 am 

If you're asking whether they're moved to the trash rather than being deleted, I doubt that is the case, but I don't use PortableApps, so I can't say for sure. You can check for yourself simply by looking in your trash folder after doing an update.

If that's not what you mean, then I don't understand your question. Deleted files don't exist anymore.

I also doubt deleting files, regardless of how many, will affect your drive, but that's really a question for the hardware manufacturer.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:36 am 

dimesio wrote:
If you're asking whether they're moved to the trash rather than being deleted, I doubt that is the case, but I don't use PortableApps, so I can't say for sure. You can check for yourself simply by looking in your trash folder after doing an update.

If that's not what you mean, then I don't understand your question. Deleted files don't exist anymore.

I also doubt deleting files, regardless of how many, will affect your drive, but that's really a question for the hardware manufacturer.

Yep, that was actually what I mean. I was concerned, mainly because I've read several articles quoting what one shouldn't do on a solid HDD, and among those, it is stated that one shouldn't write them frequently:

https://www.howtogeek.com/165472/6-thin ... te-drives/

When one update a PortableApps file, several hundreds of files are deleted at the same time, so that was my concern.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:29 pm 

The article you linked to is over 5 years old; SSDs have improved a lot since then. But as I said, it's really a question for your hardware manufacturer, not here.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » WineHQ » Wine Help » Linux