Origin issue

Questions about Wine on Linux
straycatstrat

Origin issue

Post by straycatstrat »

I realize that Origin has a TON of issues. And, I've done Googling to see if I could fix the problem. I'm at a standstill. Origin can't connect to the Internet. Here is what I've done:

I used Crossover Linux, and after fighting with it to install (kept locking the Origin folder preventing it from writing anything in there, found a workaround to make that work). That worked well, was able to login, downloaded C&C Generals, and Sims 3 & 4, even played them for a few hours. A few days passed, and Origin had to update. Then error 11:0. I figured that was fine seeing as I didn't want to buy Crossover yet, and wanted to use Wine so it's not nagging me to buy.

So, here went on a frustrating 4 hour install Origin in WINE, just to figure out "Oh, you need to install corefonts!" Fine, that got it to install (once I did the workaround to allow the installation). I had installed some other things in WINE, and probably broke something because then Origin couldn't connect to the internet. Meh, what I've done, wasn't all that important. I played around with it, and ended up making nothing start up. So, I uninstalled completely, removed the WINE prefix, and started over. So, this time, Origin was the only thing being installed in the WINE prefix.

Well, that didn't work. Tried PlayOnLinux, and....nope.

I let that simmer for about a week, and Kubuntu was glitching out worse by the day with nVidia drivers. Figured that was fine, I really wasn't happy with it, so I switched to Linux Mint with XFCE. No more glitchy DE.

Now, I have a fresh OS, fresh WINE, Origin being the only thing in there....and....nope. Still no internet. I've looked around, and looked, and looked. posts from 2014 from Windows users on the EA help page, and the solution is a mix of things that don't really pertain to my environment. Well, that sucks. Oh, look! A post from 2017! It's WINE! .....nope. Some posts from earlier this year, but isn't Linux, it's Mac portingkit.

So, I don't know what to check or do. I've been blindly poking around, and I break stuff lol

Linux Mint 19, nVidia drivers, WINE 3.0.3, 32-bit prefix
straycatstrat

Re: Origin issue

Post by straycatstrat »

Seems it's not only Origin. I just tried Steam, and it logs in, but then nothing will install. Store can't be accessed.

Something is going weird here. At first I was thinking it was my Pi-Hole server, so I disabled the DNS to that from the router, and even shut down the Pi-Hole. Nope, still nothing.

Everything else works fine, just things running in WINE are not.