Where does the deleted files on Wine go?

Questions about Wine on Linux
jgratero

Where does the deleted files on Wine go?

Post by jgratero »

Ok, I've tried to research about this, but so far no definitive answer:

I am updating PortableApps apps stored on a USB device, using Wine. My question is:

The files that are deleted when updating, where does those files go?
My HDD is a solid one The deletion of so many files at the same time is going to affect it?
dimesio

Re: Where does the deleted files on Wine go?

Post by dimesio »

If you're asking whether they're moved to the trash rather than being deleted, I doubt that is the case, but I don't use PortableApps, so I can't say for sure. You can check for yourself simply by looking in your trash folder after doing an update.

If that's not what you mean, then I don't understand your question. Deleted files don't exist anymore.

I also doubt deleting files, regardless of how many, will affect your drive, but that's really a question for the hardware manufacturer.
jgratero

Post by jgratero »

dimesio wrote:If you're asking whether they're moved to the trash rather than being deleted, I doubt that is the case, but I don't use PortableApps, so I can't say for sure. You can check for yourself simply by looking in your trash folder after doing an update.

If that's not what you mean, then I don't understand your question. Deleted files don't exist anymore.

I also doubt deleting files, regardless of how many, will affect your drive, but that's really a question for the hardware manufacturer.
Yep, that was actually what I mean. I was concerned, mainly because I've read several articles quoting what one shouldn't do on a solid HDD, and among those, it is stated that one shouldn't write them frequently:

https://www.howtogeek.com/165472/6-thin ... te-drives/

When one update a PortableApps file, several hundreds of files are deleted at the same time, so that was my concern.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The article you linked to is over 5 years old; SSDs have improved a lot since then. But as I said, it's really a question for your hardware manufacturer, not here.