Serum VST GUI runs very slow

Questions about Wine on Linux
BillMess

Serum VST GUI runs very slow

Post by BillMess »

I have Linux Mint 19, wine-staging 3.19, and Bitwig Studio 2.4.2 for Ubuntu installed. I'm trying to get the Serum VST to work. Using LinVST and disabling d2d1 in winecfg, it almost works except that the GUI runs at an unusable 5fps. I've also tried it with Airwave and Carla and it had the same result, so I think it's a problem with Wine. Installing gdiplus through winetricks fixes the antialiasing, but it still runs at about 5fps.

These are some things I tried but didn't make any difference:
installing 32bit d2d1.dll version 6.1.7601.17514 to syswow64 and setting d2d1 to native inside winecfg
installing the latest mesa drivers from padoka ppa
installing the latest mesa drivers from obaif
installing Vulkan and DXVK

Although maybe I've installed DXVK wrong? I'm not sure. Maybe it has something to do with the particular graphics card I have, which is an Asus AMD R9 285. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can get this to work, that would be much appreciated. Serum is the main thing keeping me from finally switching to Linux.
Tee

Re: Serum VST GUI runs very slow

Post by Tee »

I have the same issue in Arch REAPER Linvst. And i just disable d2d1.dll in winecfg.
I tried to override d2d1.dll. But the envelope point will disappear in GUI.
So i had to disable it. But GUI still slow.
I have no idea what cause it happened.
lowlands

Re: Serum VST GUI runs very slow

Post by lowlands »

This problem with the extremely slow GUI still exists today with this setup:
Serum demo version 128b1 - I installed the VST2 32bit version
Wine 5.0 - 32bit clean prefix with only Vulkan enabled (winetricks dxvk-master)
Airwave manager 1.3.3
Bitwig 3.1.2
Fedora 31 x86_64

I read somewhere it's caused by Serum using the DirectDraw API (?) which Wine does not support very well.

There are alternatives: the synths from https://u-he.com are all available for Linux (vote with your dollars) and Sylenth1 by LennarDigital works fine with my Wine setup above.

If anyone makes any progress then please leave a message.