Sony Vegas 8.0 Memory Limit

Questions about Wine on Linux
Titan91
Level 2
Level 2

Sony Vegas 8.0 Memory Limit

Post by Titan91 »

During a render job or when editing, Sony Vegas 8.0 freezes if it allocates 1GB of memory. This issue can be reproduced 100% and rendering is the easiest way to cause the issue. When memory usage for vegas80.exe reaches 1GB the process stops reporting to the window manager and becomes unresponsive until ended manually. I am running Ubuntu 18.04 x64 and Wine Development 3.18 with a 32-bit prefix and Unity 7. I understand Wine will allow applications to allocate as much memory as there is available, and I have 8GB of memory in the PC. I also got an Ubuntu error after ending with the System Monitor one time (not sure if related). The screenshots below will hopefully be of help.
Attachments
Vegas.png
post end error.png
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Sony Vegas 8.0 Memory Limit

Post by Bob Wya »

@Titan91

This issue comes up on a very regular basis.
E.g.: A 32-bit WINEPREFIX has all the limitations on process size, that a native 32-bit MS Windows installation has.

Bob
Titan91
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Titan91 »

Ok so not a Wine bug, rather a .NET process limitation of 800MB to 1.2GB. Learn something new every day! Thanks for the help again Bob.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@Titan91

One day we'll get .Net framework-based applications running in a 64-bit WINEPREFIX!
My understanding is that there is no technical barrier to this happening... Eventually... 8)

Bob
Titan91
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Titan91 »

Yeah absolutely! Oh by the way, that wasn't the issue at all. I had to set the Large Address Aware flag in the Vegas executable header. Issue is fixed, but only up to 4GB now. Next is to find out why memory usage grows so fast when doing a short render at 1080p HD settings, I'm thinking Vegas is caching bitmap frames to system RAM after the frames are rendered and encoded. Which is annoying, as memory usage goes back down to nothing only when the entire render finishes.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Titan91 wrote:Yeah absolutely! Oh by the way, that wasn't the issue at all. I had to set the Large Address Aware flag in the Vegas executable header. Issue is fixed, but only up to 4GB now. Next is to find out why memory usage grows so fast when doing a short render at 1080p HD settings, I'm thinking Vegas is caching bitmap frames to system RAM after the frames are rendered and encoded. Which is annoying, as memory usage goes back down to nothing only when the entire render finishes.
Vegas 8.0 doesn't have anything in the preferences menu to limit RAM usage for Video previews?
I see Vegas Pro 13.0 has this feature...

Bob
Titan91
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Titan91 »

Actually it does, I had it set to 1024MB as I was curious as to what it did. I wasn't able to adjust it down though because Vegas stopped saving my preferences between restarts of the program. Recently it decided to start showing ads for the latest version, which caused an MSHTML.DLL access violation when trying to render the web page. I was just dragging the error out of the way to continue working and closing the ad window, but didn't realize this was causing the saving issue until I fixed it but using the native Windows library, then turned off the Net Notify new version alerts in the preferences.

If you're interested in getting the full error using the Wine built-in library I can post it here. Regardless, I was then able to set this to 0MB (or the default setting of 256MB) and saw no reduction in memory usage while rendering. I'll keep digging through the Vegas settings.