Skyrim se problems we need the great and only Bob Wya!

Questions about Wine on Linux
adcdam
Level 2
Level 2

Skyrim se problems we need the great and only Bob Wya!

Post by adcdam »

Lots of players having sound problems with Skyrim Se, the F4SE is for having skse64 working in wine for mods,
https://www.reddit.com/r/wine_gaming/co ... ing_music/
In the wine test it say thanks to patches to bug #39402 by Andrew Eikum, sound is finally working out of box in wine-staging.
A guy from reddit explain me that i need to Install ffmpeg or libavcodec (including development files) and then compile latest wine-staging. This will be enough to get sound works, and that i need to compile just regular wine-staging, because the patch for sound is already included (since 3.15).
its needed to compile it manually because existing builds doesn't compiled with ffmpeg installed and therefore the patch for sound is disabled in them.
he send me an already compiled wine-staging 3-15 with that support and the sound worked but he didnt include the F4SE patch so i have sound but no mods support, i set x3daudio1_7 and xaudio2_7 to builtin to get complete sound working
i tested the wine-staging-3.17 version that i installed with Funtoo i was able to install the F4SE patch with you help but the game doesnt start if i set x3daudio1_7 and xaudio2_7 to builtin, it start if i set the both to native but again i have the same sound problem.
how can i patch wine staging to have the three patches installed that i need to have both complete sound and modding support in Skyrim se?

here is a guide from a few month ago
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comment ... with_wine/
best regards!!!!
this will help lots of Skyrim se users in wine
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Skyrim se problems we need the great and only Bob Wya!

Post by Bob Wya »

@adcdam

I believe you want to compile app-emulation/wine-staging-3.18 against media-video/ffmpeg/ffmpeg-4*.
Unfortunately app-emulation/wine-staging-3.18 will build against media-video/ffmpeg/ffmpeg-3* - but I believe this build will not have working audio in Skyrim SE or Fallout 4.
This STAGED patch should do the magic: xaudio2: Use ffmpeg to convert WMA formats.

I haven't gotten around to upgrading to media-video/ffmpeg/ffmpeg-4* on my main (gaming) laptop yet.

I do help (cough) maintain Fallout 4. :lol:
But frankly after wading through the comments on: WineHQ AppDB: Fallout 4 / Steam... I just got a headache.
Troubleshooting random sound channel dropouts, is way too "in the weeds" for my liking! :? :lol:

I'll retest Fallout 4, when I upgrade ffmpeg to version 4.

Bob
adcdam
Level 2
Level 2

Post by adcdam »

thanks Bob, yes from what i read ffmpeg version 4 is needed im talking about skyrim se version not Fallout 4, but both use the same engine.
the guy that send me the working wine version told me that its compiled againts ffmepeg 4.
best regards and please let me know when you update to ffmpeg 4.
adcdam
Level 2
Level 2

Post by adcdam »

Hi Bob from what i saw funtoo install that patch (Use ffmpeg to convert WMA formats) when compiling wine-staging and i have already have ffmpeg 4.02 installed but i got no sound.
but i guy told me that i need manual compiling.

Code: Select all

By the way, Wine-Staging include the patch for WMA conversion, which resolves sound issues in Skyrim Special Edition (probably in Legendary Edition too) at least.

But you have to compile Wine-Staging yourself, because most builds doesn't enable this patch (cause it requires ffmpeg or libavcodec to be installed).

https://github.com/wine-staging/wine-staging/tree/master/patches/xaudio2_7-WMA_support

Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

adcdam wrote:Hi Bob from what i saw funtoo install that patch (Use ffmpeg to convert WMA formats) when compiling wine-staging and i have already have ffmpeg 4.02 installed but i got no sound.
but i guy told me that i need manual compiling.

By the way, Wine-Staging include the patch for WMA conversion, which resolves sound issues in Skyrim Special Edition (probably in Legendary Edition too) at least.

But you have to compile Wine-Staging yourself, because most builds doesn't enable this patch (cause it requires ffmpeg or libavcodec to be installed).

https://github.com/wine-staging/wine-staging/tree/master/patches/xaudio2_7-WMA_support

I didn't actually realise that Funtoo was a binary distribution... Well you learn something new everyday!
Yup, you need to build the =app-emulation/wine-staging-3.18 package against =media-video/ffmpeg-4.0.2.
I'd check if there is a Funtoo bug open for this!

I've been down a rabbit hole trying to get =dev-lang/ghc-8.4.3 to build. Turns out that one of the stock Gentoo patches was breaking it! :roll:

I can't really corroborate whether the WMA patch works, as I don't have a copy of Skyrim SE.

There is some glimmers of hope on the horizon... That Ethan Lee's work will help improve these problems in the future! 8)
See this mailing list thread: wine-devel: Integrating FAudio, a reimplementation of XAudio2.

Bob
adcdam
Level 2
Level 2

Post by adcdam »

Funtoo is not a binary distro is a source based distro. it was created by Daniel Robbins the creator of Gentoo.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

adcdam wrote:Funtoo is not a binary distro is a source based distro. it was created by Daniel Robbins the creator of Gentoo.
Obviously I'm aware of Funtoo... Plus who Daniel Robbins is.
That's pretty much where my knowledge ends on that matter! :?

So I'm not clear... Have you tried compiling:

=app-emulation/wine-staging-3.18 +ffmpeg
?? That should be enough to test if the WMA patch is working.

Bob
adcdam
Level 2
Level 2

Post by adcdam »

if i do that i get this:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild     UD ] media-video/ffmpeg-3.4.1 [4.0.2] USE="-nvenc%" 
[ebuild     U *] media-video/ffmpeg-9999 [4.0.2] USE="-nvenc%" 
[ebuild   R    ] app-emulation/wine-staging-3.17 

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

media-video/ffmpeg:0

(media-video/ffmpeg-3.4.1:0/55.57.57::media-kit, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    media-video/ffmpeg:0/55.57.57= required by (dev-qt/qtwebengine-5.9.4:5/5.9::kde-kit, installed)
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^                                                                                                     

(media-video/ffmpeg-9999:0/56.58.58::media-kit, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=media-video/ffmpeg-4:0/56.58.58=[abi_x86_32(-),abi_x86_64(-)] required by (app-emulation/wine-staging-3.15:3.15/3.15::nokit, installed)
    ^^                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^                        ^                                                                                                                                                        
    >=media-video/ffmpeg-3.2.2:0/56.58.58=[encode,threads] required by (media-video/mpv-0.27.2:0/0::media-kit, installed)
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^                                                                                                                   
    (and 3 more with the same problems)
Portage wants to install ffmpeg-9999 and i already have ffmpeg 4.0.2.
so it seems portage doesnt build wine-staging against ffpmeg 4.0.2?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

adcdam wrote:if i do that i get this:

(media-video/ffmpeg-3.4.1:0/55.57.57::media-kit, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    media-video/ffmpeg:0/55.57.57= required by (dev-qt/qtwebengine-5.9.4:5/5.9::kde-kit, installed)
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^                                                                                                     
Portage wants to install ffmpeg-9999 and i already have ffmpeg 4.0.2.
so it seems portage doesnt build wine-staging against ffpmeg 4.0.2?
dev-qt/qtwebengine (wow that's an old version!) needs to be rebuilt against =media-video/fmpeg-4.0.2 still.
Unclean world updates lead to all sorts of issues - like this... :roll:

Also, locally I have:

/etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/media-video.keywords:

<media-video/ffmpeg-4.9999                              **
To avoid Portage pulling in: =media-video/ffmpeg-9999

I double checked and the Xaudio WMA patch was actually added, way back, as part of the Wine Staging 3.12 release commits ... 8)

Bob