Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 - no process memory

Questions about Wine on Linux
ogobeone
Level 2
Level 2

Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 - no process memory

Post by ogobeone »

:?: I'm trying to get Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 to work in a 64-bit desktop running Debian Stretch (Gnome Classic). I have it working on a 64-bit laptop with the same distro, but I can't get it to run on the desktop. I have checked Processes in the System Monitor between the two computers and the laptop shows one "Digital Editions" process using 106.4 MiB of memory, whereas the desktop shows a process using "N/A" memory; another process is started each time I click on the top Adobe Digital Editions entry under Wine under Applications (which I have enabled in Tweak Tool). I'm not sure what I'm missing. It was hit and miss getting it to work on the laptop, but all miss on the desktop, as well as a second older 32-bit desktop I have running the same distro. When I try to install 4.5 on the older desktop it gives me the message, "Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 requires windbind (part of Samba) to be installed, but winbind was not detected." Yet, winbind is in fact installed when checking the Synaptic Package Manager. The same thing happens when I install on the newer desktop. The main differences between the old and new desktop are that when run, the older one sports a wineserver32 process whereas the newer one shows wineserver64 in System Monitor, and the older one shows no Digital Editions process whatsoever, even though it is installed. In both cases clicking on Adobe Digital Editions in the Applications menu creates a circling icon which disappears after a few seconds.

Wine version is standard in the Stretch repository: 1.8.7-2. I used Winetricks to install all instances (I think - maybe not the laptop?). I also ensured that ~/.wine on the 64-bit desktop and ~/.wine32 in the case of the laptop were 32 bit winecfgs. Any ideas? Perhaps I should try to do it without Winetricks, just pure Wine, but I'm not sure how I would go about that.
ogobeone
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 - no process memory

Post by ogobeone »

As a follow-up: I toyed with setting up ADE using wine only. Got gecko and mono loaded using msiexec /i {package}, but .net 4.0 is more difficult, only earlier versions offered at Microsoft, 4.0 only (?) through Winetricks, which insists on setting up a different wineprefix under .local/share/wineprefixes. Really, no matter how I slice it, no memory is offered to processes, which now don't even stick around in the System Monitor, adding up like the Sorcerer's apprentice's brooms as before. Why only the laptop?? Easier to research acsm Overdrive books in my double monitor system if I can get it to work.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

ogobeone wrote:When I try to install 4.5 on the older desktop it gives me the message, "Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 requires windbind (part of Samba) to be installed, but winbind was not detected." Yet, winbind is in fact installed when checking the Synaptic Package Manager.
Do you have both the 32 and 64 bit winbind packages installed? You need both.
Wine version is standard in the Stretch repository: 1.8.7-2.

That version is over two years old and no longer supported. Please upgrade to at least the latest stable release; use the WineHQ packages. https://wiki.winehq.org/Debian
but .net 4.0 is more difficult, only earlier versions offered at Microsoft, 4.0 only (?) through Winetricks, which insists on setting up a different wineprefix under .local/share/wineprefixes.
Sounds like you have an old version of winetricks; you can get the current version from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winet ... winetricks.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

the older one sports a wineserver32 process whereas the newer one shows wineserver64 in System Monitor,
It sounds like you may be missing the needed 32 bit parts of Wine on that system. Have you enable i386 architecture on that system? You need to.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@ogobeone

I've very recently updated the Winetricks Github README, so it now includes instructions on how to keep winetricks up-to-date automatically.
This includes updating the associated winetricks BASH completion script (which will probably not be very often though).

Bob
ogobeone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ogobeone »

Thank you for the immediate responses! I will dig through all that advice this weekend! Working outside Debian's repository might be a bit involved and take time. I will let all know if I get it to work, and how.
ogobeone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ogobeone »

It sounds like you may be missing the needed 32 bit parts of Wine on that system. Have you enable i386 architecture on that system? You need to.
Indeed, I have run dpkg --add-architecture i386 on all of my computers, with refresh. Reinstalled the ones not working. No luck. I get a "Program Error" box that tells me that DigitalEditions.exe needs to close.
Do you have both the 32 and 64 bit winbind packages installed? You need both.
Synaptic shows nothing about 32 or 64 bits. Version of winbind is 2:4.5.12+dfsg-2+deb9u3. Referring to the 64-bit desktop here.

I will focus on getting the newer versions of wine and winetricks installed.
Wine version is standard in the Stretch repository: 1.8.7-2.

That version is over two years old and no longer supported
It occurs to me that the laptop version might work because I installed it a couple of years ago when the version was current. No need to touch what works! :?

Thanks.
ogobeone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ogobeone »

OK. So I have successfully installed wine-stable Version 3.0.3~stretch. I decided to stop trying to work with winetricks, since it seems to require a build from source, which I'm not versed in, and the old version wasn't doing the trick. In fact it was generating the following result which I get using wine by itself. So I uninstalled it from Debian's repository. I have now tried the following command: :~$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.win32 wine ~/Downloads/ADE_4.5_Installer.exe, which goes through a process, including a "Register dump", and then shows a box that states, "Adobe Digital Editions 4.5.8 Setup ... Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 is already running. Please close Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 and try again." Nothing gets installed in the Program Files folder under drive_c, and no DigitalEditions process is shown in the System Monitor. I don't know if you would like the dump: I can delete the .win32 folder and run it again to get the dump. Perhaps I'm going about this wrong.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

I ran into that problem with any version of the ADE installer newer than 4.5.0. There's a download link for the older version in the most recent AppDB test report for ADE.
ogobeone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ogobeone »

Alright, I'll try that, dimesio. Thanks.
ogobeone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ogobeone »

Ok, I tried it. I also tried to use th 4.0 installer, but still the same result. At the end of a list of err's and fixme's a message appears which might be consequential: "The entry point method could not be loaded due to Could not load file or assembly 'PresentationFramework, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. assembly:PresentationFramework, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35 type:<unknown type> member:<none>"

Same message for the 4.0 installer and the 4.5.0 installer.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

According to the test report, that user installed winetricks corefonts dotnet40. Try that if you haven't already.
ogobeone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ogobeone »

I uninstalled Digital Editions in my win32 directory in Program Files. What is installed still, to match what your test report shows, is ~/.win32/drive_c/windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319, which I assume is dotnet40. I will have to install corefonts apparently, since ~/.win32/drive_c/windows/Fonts is empty. And finally, in order to install winetricks, I will have to build it and get Debian to accept it, which will take me some time to figure out. The weekend is a ways away and I have other business to accomplish, so this may take a while. If I can report progress, therefore, I will. Thank you for your efforts.
ogobeone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ogobeone »

I realize now that winetricks is a script that can be run using sh. I will work with the new one.
ogobeone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ogobeone »

I am running the command, WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 sh ~/Downloads/winetricks corefonts dotnet40, and it finished without telling me that a wine process is already running. Lot's of "err" and "fixme". But at least it left me at a command prompt. I see that ~/.wine32/drive_c/windows is filled with .ttf files and a file called corefonts.installed. There is a Microsoft.NET subfolder called, "v4.0.30319" with subfolders and files. Gecko 2.47 is under system32 and mono-2.0 has subfolders but no files.

Does the test report have additional steps to take?
ogobeone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ogobeone »

I decided to try the next step and install DigitalEditions. Here is the output:
:~/Downloads$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 sh ~/Downloads/winetricks
Using winetricks 20180815-next - sha256sum: 840a5069501a39a66291be885928ffcfe2e96063f61286d91d43056ca896e8de with wine-3.0.3 and WINEARCH=win32
winetricks GUI enabled, using zenity 3.22.0
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
Executing w_do_call adobe_diged4
Executing load_adobe_diged4
------------------------------------------------------
Working around wine bug 32323
Executing w_do_call corefonts
corefonts already installed, skipping
Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 requires winbind (part of Samba) to be installed, but winbind was not detected.
Executing w_do_call dotnet40
dotnet40 already installed, skipping
Executing cd /home/bill/.cache/winetricks/adobe_diged4
Executing wine y:\ahk\AutoHotkey.exe C:\windows\Temp\_adobe_diged4\tmp.ahk
0012:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0 stub
0012:fixme:process:SetProcessDEPPolicy (1): stub
0012:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0 stub
0019:fixme:process:SetProcessShutdownParameters (00000380, 00000000): partial stub.

A box popped up at that saying, "Adobe Digital Editions 4.5.8 Setup (as the title, and then below) Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 is already running. Please close Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 and try again."
ogobeone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ogobeone »

I did it! Successfully installed Adobe Digital Editions version 4.5.0. What I did was to use WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 sh ~/Downloads/winetricks to get into the gui, then, avoiding the "Install an application" feature, which chooses 4.5.8, I chose "Select the default wineprefix", then "Run uninstaller" to install ADE_4.5.0_Installer.exe. But before doing that I chose to Run winecfg, chose the Graphics tab and set the box, "Emulate a virtual desktop" with a desktop size modified to 1280 x 1024.

It seems that this process eliminated the "Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 is already running" messages. Perhaps it didn't have enough room to set up boxes and kept trying, even though I saw no process when I checked System Monitor.

Thank you for all your help! I will try to duplicate my success on my old 32-bit desktop soon. Now I can read .acsm files from the library.