Problems running wine-staging on Ubuntu 18.04 server LTS

Questions about Wine on Linux
hoover
Level 2
Level 2

Problems running wine-staging on Ubuntu 18.04 server LTS

Post by hoover »

Hi folks,

I'm having a really weird issue running wine 3.x on Ubuntu 18.04 server LTS (this is a VM hosted on VMware ESXi 6.5).

Ubuntu is updated with the latest patches and the VM runs for weeks on end unless I try running anything wine-based involving a GUI like the rfactor2 dedicated server or the falcon 4.0 installation / Setup.exe.

I'm also running Falcon BMS' IVC server using wine 3.x on the same VM without any problems whatsoever (it's a console-based version of an ancient Teamspeak version that comes wth Falcon BMS).

I don't see anything in the logs or in dmesg, the VM just simply stops responding and requires a reboot using the VMware web interface. Nothing is printed on the VMware console in the ESXi web interface either (so no OOM condition or similar seems to occur).

Sometimes the GUI elements will show up and at one point the dedicated server (rfactor2) ran for days without problems displaying its GUI window in an x2go session, but after a few player joins / leaves the VM would simply lock up as described above, requiring a reboot.

I've already tried several things (disabling apparmor, installing the VMware tools, running on a single cpu core, increasing memory etc) but I cannot get to the bottom of this.

We ran CentOS6 in a VM previously on the same hardware / ESXi version without any problems w/r to rfactor2 dedicated, but once S397 updated the dedicated rfactor2 server we had to move to a more modern OS because the new version would not run on wine 1.8.16 any more (or whatever version comes with CentOS6).

Neither rf2 dedicated nor Falcon BMS require any form of 3d acceleration when only running their dedicated components.

I know details are sketchy at best and that this issue might not even be related to wine at all, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced a similar behaviour before when running wine on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS server, be it on bare metal or within some form of VM environment?

System specs:

- 8GB RAM

- 300GB HD

- two virtual CPUs (single core) model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2660 0 @ 2.20GHz

- Kernel Linux 4.15.0-36-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Mon Sep 24 16:19:09 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

- VMware tools version: open-vm-tools 2:10.3.0-0ubuntu1~18.04.2

I would be very grateful for any suggestions on what to try next. I can also provide further details of the setup if needed.

Thanks in advance & all the best,

Uwe
hoover
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Problems running wine-staging on Ubuntu 18.04 server LTS

Post by hoover »

I just reverted to winehq-stable 3.0.3 and still running Falcon 4.0's setup.exe from an ISO image mounted via loop device crashes / halts the VM. Here are the last few lines of some strace output:

recvmsg(10, {msg_namelen=0}, 0) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
poll([{fd=10, events=POLLIN|POLLOUT}], 1, -1) = 1 ([{fd=10, revents=POLLOUT}])
writev(10, [{iov_base="b\0\10\0\27\0\0\0", iov_len=8}, {iov_base="Generic Event Extension", iov_len=23}, {iov_base="\0", iov_len=1}], 3) = 32
poll([{fd=10, events=POLLIN}], 1, -1) = 1 ([{fd=10, revents=POLLIN}])
recvmsg(10, {msg_name=NULL, msg_namelen=0, msg_iov=[{iov_base="\1\0]\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0", iov_len=4096}], msg_iovlen=1, msg_controllen=0, msg_flags=0}, 0) = 32
poll([{fd=10, events=POLLIN|POLLOUT}], 1, -1) = 1 ([{fd=10, revents=POLLOUT}])
writev(10, [{iov_base="\222\5\1\0", iov_len=4}, {iov_base=NULL, iov_len=0}, {iov_base="", iov_len=0}], 3) = 4
poll([{fd=10, events=POLLIN}], 1, -1

All the best, Uwe
hoover
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hoover »

Hi folks,

I think I found the culprit: A bug in vmware's vmxnet3 driver causing random crashes / lockups in Linux. 6.5U1 apparently has a fix for the issue, right now I'm using a workaround described here

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1654319

and it's worked nicely so far.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

hoover wrote:Hi folks,

I think I found the culprit: A bug in vmware's vmxnet3 driver causing random crashes / lockups in Linux. 6.5U1 apparently has a fix for the issue, right now I'm using a workaround described here

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1654319

and it's worked nicely so far.
@hoover

Thanks for reporting back, with a workaround.

Bob
hoover
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hoover »

You're welcome, Bob. This one has been bugging me for months now so I'm all the happier for having found some kind of solution. The first and most important step was to get the VM to crash "reliably" and not just randomly, and even just running VNC on the VM (I was using x2go before) and dragging some windows did the job nicely :)

EDIT: maybe some admin can change / add a [SOLVED] prefix to the thread's title.