iTunes on wine - Installer fails to load temporary DLLs

Questions about Wine on Linux
jorisd

iTunes on wine - Installer fails to load temporary DLLs

Post by jorisd »

Hello all,

Fist time post here, I usually get by installing what I need on wine without any trouble but I'm banging my head on this one.

64 bit iTunes installer on wine 64 bit installation, OS is ubuntu 18.04 freshly installed with kernel 4.15.0-34-generic.

Runnung wine as a regular linux user. The installer creates temporary DLLs in user's temp folder (inside .wine directory) but can't load them. I've tried changing the location of the temp folder to C:\windows\temp in the registry using winetricks but same result:

Code: Select all

0190:err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
016a:err:ole:CoReleaseMarshalData IMarshal::ReleaseMarshalData failed with error 0x8001011d
0190:err:msi:create_temp_binary failed to load dll L"C:\\windows\\temp\\msi3048.tmp" (193)
01a1:err:msi:ACTION_CallDllFunction failed to load dll L"C:\\windows\\temp\\msi3048.tmp" (193)
01a3:err:msi:ACTION_CallDllFunction failed to load dll L"C:\\windows\\temp\\msi3048.tmp" (193)

Before every try I delete .wine folder altogether and run winecfg. Platform is set to windows 7 in wine, that's the only one that works with the iTunes installer. Also tried to initialize wine environment by running wineboot prior to install but same error.

I can't find anything on the interwebs... Any help or insight appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

-Joris
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: iTunes on wine - Installer fails to load temporary DLLs

Post by jkfloris »

Did you start the iTunes installer the right way?

Code: Select all

wine start /unix ~/Downloads/iTunes64Setup.exe
I tried to install iTunes64 with wine 3.17, unchecked all the install options, and did not get any of these errors.
jorisd

Re: iTunes on wine - Installer fails to load temporary DLLs

Post by jorisd »

Hi and thank you for your reply.

I wasn't aware of the "start" command with /unix option, what are those? I was just running wine iTunes64Setup.exe. Anyways, result is the same, temp DLLs not found.