Using wine in the MIPS architecture

Questions about Wine on Linux
freedomBird
Level 2
Level 2

Using wine in the MIPS architecture

Post by freedomBird »

Hi,Everybody!
I want to consult, can wine run on the MIPS instruction set architecture? If not, what methods can I use to use wine on the MIPS architecture?
For example, the following platform content:
CPU architecture : MIPS;
CPU chip : Loongson 3A;
flavius
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Using wine in the MIPS architecture

Post by flavius »

I have little experience with wine but reading the FAQ, wine is not an emulator. It runs the userspace instructions as-is, and provides implementation of some dynamic libraries (that would do syscalls). When the program is compiled for Intel processors and the hardware is running on MIPS instructions, there's no way this could work. Theoretically you could transpile the program for MIPS first, but that is a very far-fetched idea. In my opinion you need to resort to virtualization/emulation - check out qemu.
freedomBird
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Using wine in the MIPS architecture

Post by freedomBird »

flavius wrote:I have little experience with wine but reading the FAQ, wine is not an emulator. It runs the userspace instructions as-is, and provides implementation of some dynamic libraries (that would do syscalls). When the program is compiled for Intel processors and the hardware is running on MIPS instructions, there's no way this could work. Theoretically you could transpile the program for MIPS first, but that is a very far-fetched idea. In my opinion you need to resort to virtualization/emulation - check out qemu.
@flavius,
Thank you for the reply. I have seen the methods implemented by Qemu from the existing papers. I am trying now, thanks again.