How to decrease the font size of entered text in forms

Questions about Wine on Linux
Tirian

How to decrease the font size of entered text in forms

Post by Tirian »

Dear all,

I'm currently installing some games on my computer (Ubuntu Mate 18.04 with Wine 3.0.3 Stable) and I'm having a problem with Age of Empires 3.
At the beginning of the installation I'm prompted to enter my product key (5 groups of 5 digits). However, the last digit of the first group doesn't fit in the space provided due to the font size (the other four groups don't fit either, but all five digits are entered and the cursor moves to the next group).
That's why the game won't accept my product key due to one missing character.
How can I decrease the font size of the characters entered into the pop up window? I tried to lower the LogPixels value in HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG / Softwate / Fonts but that only impacts the font size of the static text. In another game I was only asked for the key after installation, so I could paste it in the .ini file instead because it didn't work for the same reason. But that doesn't work here obviously.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Best regards
Sascha
dimesio

Re: How to decrease the font size of entered text in forms

Post by dimesio »

Known bug: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20456.

According to the most recent comment in the bug report, installing winetricks corefonts is a workaround. If that doesn't work, try wine-staging, as the bug is marked STAGED.
Tirian

Re: How to decrease the font size of entered text in forms

Post by Tirian »

Thank you, I managed to install the game now.
I set OS to XP and installed corefonts, mfc42 and l3codecx with winetricks.
For corefonts, I had to rename PowerPointViewer.exe into POWERPOINTVIEWER.EXE and restart the installation (winetricks corefonts), then manually install the downloaded .exe files containing the fonts.