No launch point for ubuntu 18.04 with recent stable winhq

Questions about Wine on Linux
Wiz70

No launch point for ubuntu 18.04 with recent stable winhq

Post by Wiz70 »

I have installed and used "wine" on several PCs over many years. I followed the steps to install the latest stable version of winehq(3.0.3). After installation, no launch point was found...... I then ran "winecfg", which installation had numerous errors. Then decided to remove wine so, I tried to do it via:
$ wine --version
wine-3.0.3
wiz3@wiz3-Aspire-E5-576:~$ sudo apt-get purge wine-3.0.3

That also failed. So, either need information to get a launch point or info to uninstall this version of winehq...

File included, showing my install........
Well, I tried several types of files to include with extensions of "txt, pdf, odt, docx" and all of them showed "The extension is not allowed". So, tell me how to attach the installation procedure I did......
dimesio

Re: No launch point for ubuntu 18.04 with recent stable winh

Post by dimesio »

Wiz70 wrote:After installation, no launch point was found......
What exactly do you mean by that?
Wiz70 wrote: So, tell me how to attach the installation procedure I did......
If the file is relatively short, just paste the text into a post. If it's too big for that but under 256 Kb, save it as a plain text file without any extension. If the file is bigger than 256 Kb (the forum limit), compress it; commonly-used archive extensions (bz, gz, xz, etc.) are allowed. If it can't be compressed to smaller than 256 Kb, upload it somewhere else and post a link.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Wiz70 wrote:After installation, no launch point was found......
What exactly do you mean by that?
Wiz70 wrote: So, tell me how to attach the installation procedure I did......
If the file is relatively short, just paste the text into a post. If it's too big for that but under 256 Kb, save it as a plain text file without any extension. If the file is bigger than 256 Kb (the forum limit), compress it; commonly-used archive extensions (bz, gz, xz, etc.) are allowed. If it can't be compressed to smaller than 256 Kb, upload it somewhere else and post a link.[/quote]
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

no launch point was found.
Wine is installed in the /opt directory.
I then ran "winecfg", which installation had numerous errors
It is normal that the first run had some "fixme" and "err" warnings. Did the winecfg window show-up?
sudo apt-get purge wine-3.0.3
That's not the name of the wine package from WineHQ. It is called "wine-stable"
Wiz70

Re: No launch point for ubuntu 18.04 with recent stable wine

Post by Wiz70 »

In all of my previous wine installs, a "Wine" application was installed into the Applications MENU. There was no launch applet or application in the Applications Menu for Wine, after installing Winehq. Searches I did seems to indicate that this was a problem. So, how do I start Winehq? The installation I did, appears to be problem free.

Attached is my install process... Also, how I do a complete removal of this Winehq 3.0.3??? I never spent this much time trying to install Wine before.... Is there something i missed?????? Please provide the removal procedure for Winehq 3.0.3?

OK, I created a Plain Text file. File name "WinehqInstall" there is no extension. Size = 67kb

I tried to add this file and also submit it. I still get "The extension is not allowed". I have been working with linux for over 20 years. I am no rookie at creating files, so whats the deal?
Wiz70

Post by Wiz70 »

jkfloris wrote:
no launch point was found.
Wine is installed in the /opt directory.
*I did find wine-stable in the opt directory. But, i don't know how to start wine. In all my previous installs, Wine was installed as a Application in the Application Menu.
I then ran "winecfg", which installation had numerous errors
It is normal that the first run had some "fixme" and "err" warnings. Did the winecfg window show-up?
* No winecfg window... I did find another suggestion to get a launch point:
sudo apt install playonlinux (suppose put wine into game applications)
didn't run it, don't want to jug up my system, unless I know it works.
sudo apt-get purge wine-3.0.3
That's not the name of the wine package from WineHQ. It is called "wine-stable"
*The wine-3.0.3 also threw me a curve but this is what I ran and got that version:

wiz3@wiz3-Aspire-E5-576:~$ wine --version
wine-3.0.3
[sudo] password for wiz3:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package wine-3.0.3
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'wine-3.0.3'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'wine-3.0.3'

I also found a command that was suppose to work but, didn't try it. Was waiting for more feed back about complete removal...

sudo apt-get remove --autoremove wine-stable wine-stable-amd64

Wasn't sure about this since the install I did required to do the following (32bit enviornment). I have a 64 bit intel system.

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
[sudo] password for wiz3:
wiz3@wiz3-Aspire-E5-576:~$

I have done several Wine installs over the years, on my other PCs. Never had problems. I think I just want to do a Complete Removal of it at this time but, if you got a fix to get it going would really appreciate it...
dimesio

Re: No launch point for ubuntu 18.04 with recent stable wine

Post by dimesio »

Wiz70 wrote:In all of my previous wine installs, a "Wine" application was installed into the Applications MENU. There was no launch applet or application in the Applications Menu for Wine, after installing Winehq.
Plain Wine does not create menu entries for any of its builtin programs. The entries you saw before were added by whoever built those packages; they are not included in the WineHQ packages. You can create menu entries for Wine's builtin programs yourself using whatever menu editor your distro provides. When you install an app in Wine, winemenubuilder will create menu entries for it.
So, how do I start Winehq? The installation I did, appears to be problem free.
https://wiki.winehq.org/Wine_User%27s_G ... s_programs
Try

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge wine
I tried to add this file and also submit it. I still get "The extension is not allowed".
I have no idea why that's happening. Try compressing it.
Wiz70

Post by Wiz70 »

I gave up... Complete Removal is more that : sudo apt-get purge wine

Check this site for proper info:
http://sourcedigit.com/14942-completely ... u-systems/