Wine Version for Toshiba L675D (AMD64 CPU)

Questions about Wine on Linux
jackerbes
Level 2
Level 2

Wine Version for Toshiba L675D (AMD64 CPU)

Post by jackerbes »

Just moved in to 64 bit Mint 19 (Sarah) on a dual boot (W7HP) laptop with an AMD64 dual core processor.

I've browsed and googled quite a bit but just can't seem to single out which version of Wine would be a good choice for the 64-bit and AMD processor.

Shifted over from 18.3 on an i386 processor so plowing new ground here. If someone could point me to a version of Wine (and Winetricks too if necessary) that should work for meit would be much appreciated!

Jack
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Wine Version for Toshiba L675D (AMD64 CPU)

Post by jkfloris »

Use the latest version of Wine [1] and winetricks [2]
It is up to you if you need/ want the stable, development or staging release:

From the Wine Wiki [3]
1.3.1 Wine from WineHQ
Wine is an open source project, and there are accordingly many different versions of Wine for you to choose from. WineHQ currently offers time-based releases in two branches: stable and development.

The stable branch is on an annual release schedule, with minor updates as needed (usually every 10-12 weeks). This version is intended for users whose applications and games already work well in the existing code, and who are not interested in testing new versions.
The development is on a biweekly release schedule. This branch is the main branch, where bug fixing occurs and new features are added. It is recommended for users who want or need the latest features and bugfixes. Users of applications/games for which the stable branch does not work should always test the development release before filing bugs.
Since September, 2015 there has been a third official branch known as staging. This branch includes several hundred experimental patches that are not yet ready for inclusion in the main branch and is recommended for users of applications/games affected by bugs marked STAGED as well as those interested in helping to test experimental patches.
[1] https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
[2] https://wiki.winehq.org/Winetricks
[3] https://wiki.winehq.org/Wine_User%27s_G ... ns_of_Wine
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@jackerbes

jkfloris has already linked to the Winetricks WineHQ Wiki page.
But I'd just add a suggestion to pay particular attention to the: Installing winetricks; section.

The stand-alone winetricks BASH completion script, I wrote, will parse your (in PATH) winetricks script and auto-generate completions, based on the winetricks verbs it detects.
So this script shouldn't need very frequent (if any) updates!

The winetricks script itself does require frequent updates.
For Linux distributions that don't package winetricks git, I'd be tempted to setup a Cron job or a systemd timer unit - to update the script (when installed globally).
I haven't gotten around to adding information about how to do this (to the WineHQ Winetricks Wiki page)...
But if there is any demand... 8)

Bob
jackerbes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jackerbes »

Thanks guys!

I only had one windows app (irfanview) running under wine and never had to fool around with it at all. So I never had to get much smarter about it.

The links will get me going and that's all I wanted.

Jack