DungeonKeeper 2 v.1.7

Questions about Wine on Linux
h2oo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: DungeonKeeper 2 v.1.7

Post by h2oo »

I really starting to think I'm just too stupid to do that. +++ I'm really hoping not to wreck your last nerves +++

I can install it without any error even if i copy the DK2 Install Files into the wine -drive_c folder. But then after installing it, when I try to launch DK2 i get prompted

Code: Select all

monster@acer:/media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungeon.keeper.2/drive_c/Program Files/Bullfrog/Dungeon Keeper 2$ wine DKII.exe
wine: cannot find L"unix\\media\\daten350\\games-software\\wine\\dungeon.keeper.2\\drive_c\\Program Files\\Bullfrog\\Dungeon Keeper 2\\DKII.exe"
//BIG edit^^:
Hmm, i deleted all the folders AGAIN and tried it an other time and now I'm getting quite a interesting but not quite helpful *to me at least* error prompt, maybe you can handle that

monster@acer:/media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungeon.keeper.2/drive_c/Program Files/Bullfrog/Dungeon Keeper 2$ WINEPREFIX=/media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungeon.keeper.2/ wine DKII.exe
0009:fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32c314,0x00000000), stub!
0009:fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32bc44,0x00000000), stub!
and after executing exactly the same command the two error promt slightly changed

monster@acer:/media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungeon.keeper.2/drive_c/Program Files/Bullfrog/Dungeon Keeper 2$ WINEPREFIX=/media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungeon.keeper.2/ wine DKII.exe
0009:fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32c724,0x00000000), stub!
0009:fixme:ddraw:ddraw7_Initialize Ignoring guid {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}.
SquareAperture
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SquareAperture »

Stupid? pfft. If I can figure it out... :-)

bob and dimesio and the rest are good instructors. You'll be fine, don't give up. Just because you haven't done it before doesn't mean you can't do it! Look, you're here trying to fix it not giving up and booting into windows. So it's clear you're technical and want to learn. So don't sweat it, I promise this one is fixable. I can run it just fine on a pentium laptop... pentium, good sir. From before windows vista, from before 64-bit processors, from before even Intel Core series. this is a DX7 game. It flies. You cannot tell you're not in native Windows.

OK.

Do you see that L"unix... bit?

This is what I'm talking about. Your wine is not there. Inside wine, it just doesn't know how to find it. You basically told the windows machine to go all the way back to c:\ but then keep going ..\ and that's impossible, so it cannot transition. It'll happen with wineconsole too, if you start it from outside a mapped reachable position, it'll start the path with "unix", and any command you try, even just 'dir' will toss a Syntax error.

Let's back up.

First, no need to export WINEPREFIX... most of us change them every single time we have to run a program, just put it on the command line before do the command as we've been showing in the thread. Set-and-forget is just a bad habit. If you do that, you may also try to run multiple things inside the same wine, while trying to get it to work - dangerous, what makes one thing good makes others broken. (well not everytime, but) and if you do that, you might leave wineserver running a singular instance and you'll have to start issuing wineserver -w ... because all running wine instances share the same wineserver as the same user, same shared memory space, same kernel, same registry, etc. This is why individual WINEPREFIXes are very, very useful.

I know it seems annoying at first, but granular control is never a bad thing.

Also I know it's frustrating seeing all the endless text fly by, but fixmes are just that, developers making notes. Watch for errors not fixmes. Rare is the fixme that is the cause of your stress. Once you get it working you can turn off alot of that stuff with WINEDEBUG options.

Look, the reason you're trying to start it from say D: is, because in winecfg on the drives tab, that's where the system put your mounted volume, right? Can you verify for me that when you run winecfg, the drives tab looks something like:

C: ../drive_c
D: /run/media/daten350/games-software
E: /some/other/mount/location

Oh wait, gotta ask, wine 101 type question just to be thorough; is your WINEPREFIX being built on a NTFS or FAT32 volume or other filesystem that does not support unix symbolic linking? That can complicate things, the dosdevices tree is all symlinks to system resources. Because, again, if you do say:

WINEPREFIX=/run/media/youracct/usbdrive/wine-games wine /run/media/youracct/usbdrive/wine-games/drive_c/Program\ Files/Bullfrog/Dungeon\ Keeper\ 2/DKII.EXE

It will fail every single time.

err:process:blah blah blah directory L"C:\\blah
wine: cannot find blahblah
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

SquareAperture wrote: ...
I'd follow Bob's suggestion for setting winver to XP too, but it's likely unnecessary.
You might think this is the case in general (obviously you've indicated this isn't necessary for this specific game)...
But actually it isn't that obvious. :shock:

Wine simply exposes the newer Windows API calls, when you enable Windows 7 compatibility.
So no big deal, right? Older games won't be calling these newer (Windows Vista) API calls anyway!
But there are in fact subtle issues with older games that may require setting Wine compatibility to older Windows versions.

E.g. this recent WineHQ forum post: Not enough disk space on Z:

Also I don't see a problem with:

export WINEPREFIX=...
With the proviso that if I walk away from my laptop or change terminal tabs, I'll double check the shell env before:

env | grep WINE
running any further wine-related commands!
As with most computer issues, the main problem is between keyboard and screen... :mrgreen:

Bob

Bob
h2oo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by h2oo »

SquareAperture wrote:

env | grep WINE
Ah that shows nicely which my actually choosen WINEPREFX- folder is and also the current DEBUG options. Thanks

Hmm and there is no more drive D (actually since the third or fourth post) when it was first mentioned as a possible cause of the entire problem. When i open the winecfg tab with the drive menu, there is only my mounted drive_c created by the wine prefix path and a drive z pointing to "/"
And the second hard drive in my laptop is formatted as well as the main SSD as ext4 filesystem.

Well after i did the whole installation process again (lol) i didn't get the error with L"unix again and directly got slightly differentiating fixme's, but as you mentioned those aren't that critical. So i did again export the debug file as Bob mentioned earlier, maybe it can help.

export WINEDEBUG=+timestamp,+tid,+loaddll,+winediag,+synchronous,+seh,+x11drv,+xrandr
https://gist.github.com/Phenicien/2167f ... 1f7c0eec73
are there maybe any other parameter i can submit the DEBUG routine to "narrow" down my actual error?

I have a actually question not directly linked to that error. Sometimes of the few installations i did till now Dungeon Keeper will be installed inside "Program Files" and sometimes there is an additional "Program Files (x86)" were it gets installed. Am i doing something wrong with the definition of the environment (which windows should be emulated) for wine?
Attachments
only-drivec-and-z.png
log.zip
(4.06 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

h2oo wrote:...
I have a actually question not directly linked to that error. Sometimes of the few installations i did till now Dungeon Keeper will be installed inside "Program Files" and sometimes there is an additional "Program Files (x86)" were it gets installed. Am i doing something wrong with the definition of the environment (which windows should be emulated) for wine?
It appears you are not doing:

WINEARCH=win32 wineboot -u
to create a 32-bit WINEPREFIX, for some of your tests.

This is often very important for older games... As they often do not reliably support 64-bit Windows (aka Syswow 64).

The WINEARCH env variable is tehnically only used when first creating a WINEPREFIX.
Although newer versions of Wine have a WINEARCH sanity check.
If WINEARCH is set - then the WINEPREFIX you are using must be the same architecture.

This works in much the same way that Windows offers no easy migration path from a 32-bit Windows install to a 64-bit Windows install!

Bob
h2oo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by h2oo »

Ok, i actually skipped that line last time SORRY.
But now i did again a whole installation routine COMPLETELY within the console, nothing anywhere else. I got a lot of verbosely output of the wine environment but installation worked without any problem (as always).

removing old install:
rm -r /media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungeon.keeper2

install it:
export WINEPREFIX="/media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungen.keeper2/"
winetricks winxp
cp -r /media/daten350/games-software/dk2install	/media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungen.keeper2/drive_c/
cd /media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungen.keeper2/drive_c/dk2install/
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungen.keeper2/ winecfg
WINEPREFIX=/media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungen.keeper2/ wine Setup.exe 
WINEPREFIX=/media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungen.keeper2/ wine DKII1.7-1.8.exe 

and in the end, trying to run it:
cd /media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungen.keeper2/drive_c/Program\ Files/Bullfrog/Dungeon\ Keeper\ 2/
export WINEDEBUG=+timestamp,+tid,+loaddll,+winediag,+synchronous,+seh,+x11drv,+xrandr
WINEPREFIX=/media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungen.keeper2/ wine DKII.exe &>~/wine-vanilla-3.0.2_loaddll_X_seh_log.txt
I still think I'm doing a teeny, tiny false step/command somewhere to f* up the whole thing.

Attached again the DEBUG output
https://gist.github.com/Phenicien/0d306 ... 2b07b484fe
Attachments
log.zip
(4.25 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

h2oo wrote:...
I still think I'm doing a teeny, tiny false step/command somewhere to f* up the whole thing.

Attached again the DEBUG output
https://gist.github.com/Phenicien/0d306 ... 2b07b484fe
@h2oo

You've got to understand that Wine installations can behave differently, even on 2 very similar Linux installations!
So troubleshooting Wine issues, can actually be quite challenging! :shock:

It's also easy to overlook little configuration mistakes.
Even I, myself, do this about once (cough) a year!! 8)
Joking aside, I do tend to put stuff like your little sequence of commands (above) in a BASH script.

I'm currently leaning towards your issue being a ddraw bug.
E.g. similar to: Bug 2082 - DirectDraw games only showing black screen.
Although some people seem to think this, component of Wine, works perfectly (in 2018)! :lol:

Anyway back to the "real world" troubleshooting...
  • What's the current state of play? Does the game do anything at all, when you launch it?
  • Have you tested using a Wine Virtual Desktop (see within the winecfg / Graphics tab)?
Bob
h2oo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by h2oo »

1. It doesn't do anything at all when i try to launch it with "default" settings. Just with the commands I posted above.
The new command line takes about 3-4s to appear and i see by the CPU-load that "something" is happening but then it's back to normal again.

2. When I enable the "virtual desktop" i get about 3s a new window (e.g. picture) but then it closes and nothing is happening.
It also doesn't try to launch Dungeon Keeper within the virtual desktop window. Just the Icon on blue background.

I think I'm trying, just for research purpose, to create a virtual machine with a fresh Ubuntu 18.04 (like mine) and just try to run wine with Dungeon Keeper 2. Maybe something else is going on in the background and disturbs wine to create the actual game canvas/window (don't know how to call that exactly). *but that could take a bit off time, cause it's going to be my first virtual machine*

and the best thing to learn something new, is and was always, confronting yourself with a actual problem *yeah---lol*
Attachments
virtualdesktop.png
h2oo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by h2oo »

h2oo wrote:I think I'm trying, just for research purpose, to create a virtual machine with a fresh Ubuntu 18.04 (like mine) and just try to run wine with Dungeon Keeper 2. Maybe something else is going on in the background and disturbs wine to create the actual game canvas/window (don't know how to call that exactly). *but that could take a bit off time, cause it's going to be my first virtual machine*
And now i know that ACER has experimented with some kinda of serious sh***y restrictions within their "low-end" notebook BIOS's and just don't thought it would be necessary to be able the enable AMD-Hyper-V even if the CPU and the Mainboard Chipset are capable to manage that..... even the previous model were enabled to use that function *arrrrggggghhhh*
Now I got definitely an other goal - achieving a modded BIOS (but that not quite this forum)....

- just for an update at that point.
SquareAperture
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SquareAperture »

Bob Wya wrote: As with all things Linux it helps a lot if you learn "sideways"
T-shirt please! Size L, black with white letters.
----

re: VMs and hypervisors and flashing modded laptop BIOSes are all great skills to have! But can I make a suggestion? Prioritize your efforts. If you go changing 2500 other variables, the chances you'll ever figure out what is going on is practically zero. Also remember that a VM is emulating an actual machine, you will dedicate RAM to it when it's running; on a 32G RAM laptop, easy peasy, on an 8G RAM laptop, bit of a hindrance. (although if you just plan on installing an old Win95/XP ISO to run just DKII, 2G is overkill.)

re: that log... the exe loads, the related dlls load, but then nothing? Is that log complete? It's still setting window hints and then it just ends? there's a few seh:raise_exception (structured exception handling) meaning usually that some windows component exploded. Something weird is going on, for sure. Bob? Thoughts?

If you're sure that you're always running in a win32 bottle now, then we've come to the point where I suggest upgrading. So - are you willing to install wine-staging? This particular game has worked in wine since before I can remember, but it's entirely possible that 3.0.2 Stable or not, either has a regression issue or driver incompatibility or or or... wine development is like this; one version works, another might not. This forum is littered with threads that start "system updated to version x.x and broke my <software>" and ends with "updating wine to x.y fixed it!". I was about to pull 3.0.2 and test DKII, but it's probably better for both of us for you to get staging.

How many other apps do you run under wine currently? I don't want to mess with your setup if you have dozens of things working, but if it's only a couple old games, I'd opt for replace vs. concurrent. (for your ease of installation and use)

It's pretty straightforward: https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
SquareAperture
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SquareAperture »

Also, not to be a jerk or anything, but thanks for making me play DKII again. This game is timeless, even with all the Bullfrog / Peter Molyenux / EA drama (speaking of jerks) ;-) It's rare that you care about a company or game so much you "know" the people behind the credit scroll... Bullfrog was one such company.

The very rock yawns in anticipation of your next fascinating move...
h2oo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by h2oo »

@ SquareAperture:
Yeah sure I will try to upgrade to the wine-staging version. But i have a question, should i remove the "normal" stable-branch before installing the staging-branch? The guide says "only one package" should be installed, is it enough to go

sudo apt remove winehq-stable
or does it need --purge to get rid of the leftovers which can mess with the staging-branch?

The only really used software is, Adobe Reader DC because of those nasty Adobe-native forms the newer .pdfs use and no other linux-native software can handle. But it's "quite easy" to reinstall Adobe, and it's working OK. So that's not a problem at all.
SquareAperture
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SquareAperture »

I'm not a debian/ubuntu/mint guy; a lot of linux is the same but package management for precompiled binaries is the one place they all differ. So purge being force/erase thing if the package manager finds dependencies? OK. A quick search shows a thread where Bob tells another person to sudo apt-get purge wine (synonymous with apt-get remove --purge apparently) so yea I'd trust that if not using it doesn't work, then using it will. Double negatives aside. And no, it's doubtful anything 'left over' would interfere, it will probably overwrite any lingering bits, or it will sit unused and unaccessed. Not proper housecleaning, but probably harmless.

re: XDA forms in PDFs, have you tried recently? evince can handle all but the most complicated ones these days. I think dynamic XDA support is the only thing missing. Probably exactly the thing you need, lol. (I swear Adobe hates it when people make free software compatible with theirs, and quickly redesign an update to mess with that compaitibility.) Some people swear by master-pdf too, but I don't think it's open source so I don't know what the point is, unless you just hate Adobe.
h2oo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by h2oo »

Ok, i still had the following packages installed after purging the "old" winehq-stable, could that cause a/the issue?
  • wine32
    wine64
    wine-development
    wine-stable-amd64
    winetricks
    wine32-development
    wine64-development
    wine-stable
    wine-stable-i386
But then i went installing the newest (e.g. 3.17 wine it said whilst installing), and as a apparently expected exact the "same" nothing happens after trying to run the game .exe
Again I attached the log, it is definitely the longest until now. https://gist.github.com/Phenicien/2425c ... b97cca5307
BUT I think I'm going to "need" to dry run the game within windows/or a other PC to check if I still sane and the game CD itself isn't messed up or something like that.

//and to address the forms issue within .pdfs - they're mostly work related stuff with safe filled out forms which have been already edited with data/enter form data. And it seems like only Adobe itself can handle it. But it's running OK and doesn't mess up cross-platform compatibility and that's more or less the most important thing at all.
Attachments
log.zip
(4.85 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
SquareAperture
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SquareAperture »

uh.... hey Bob! :shock:

uh... OK so I don't know ubuntu, but on redhat this is not possible without force-installing packages, or ignoring the package manager and manually installing all 3 trees. Because else they would be duplicates. Not exact copies, but their files would occupy the same location. You cannot have stable and staging and development all installed at the same time as the system wine, they'll just overwrite each other.

And you don't need the 32-bit wine meta package installed, only the 64-bit. Wine these days is built by compiling for 64-bit, and then referencing that build when compiling the 32-bit. If you're the installing winehq 64-bit builds, this was done for you. Installing the meta package winedb-staging will pull all the necessary stuff for running 32-bit windows apps.

BUT ... so did you force them to install, or did you manually install them? None of your commands that you've listed show you using full pathnames... so pardon me if you know what you're doing, but as for troubleshooting what is going on with your DK2, it would be great if we could see if things were isolated. I'm only going by the log that wine spits out that we're using 3.0.2 stable, but if the libs are intermixed? Woof.

Of course if you're just following a document you found online, you could have them all co-installed but only using the system one? There's no way to know if this situation is unintentional or what you intended.

Could this be your problem? Sure. Who knows. It's making for more confusion on my end, I know that. :) (it's not helping!)

If I were you? I'd clean out everything related to wine, run whatever package management commands that ubuntu has to clean up that database (like sudo apt-get clean or apt autoclean or whatever, again, not a ubuntu guy), then reinstall just winehq-staging with recommends just like it is shown on that page mentioned above, and see if things are better.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

With Debian (Ubuntu?) the winehq-stable package is only a meta package. In other words this package pulls-in all winehq dependencies. You could remove this package without removing wine (use "apt-get autoremove --purge" after removing the meta package if you want to completely remove wine). Also it is possible to install wine-stable, -devel and -staging side by side. They go in their own /opt directory. Instead of running "wine program.exe", you could use "/opt/wine-<branch>/bin/wine program.exe" or use the Debian alternative system. You even could co-install the Debian wine packages and the Winehq packages.
SquareAperture
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SquareAperture »

Hey jkfloris. Thanks for jumping in.

Is that enough?! Is this something new(ish) with modern builds? Does just specifying /opt/wine-staging/bin/wine, does wine automatically look in the .. tree above it's current bin location for it's associated tree? Because damn, I'm doing it the hard way if that's the case!

Over here I keep the self-compiled and old, old versions all semi-isolated via a bash script:

#!/bin/bash

# set wine variables for this version
# and change the prompt to show this
# but first make sure you remember
# to source it and not execute it.

if [ "${BASH_SOURCE[0]}" = "${0}" ]
then
 echo "needs to be sourced."
 echo "try: . $0"
 exit
fi

export W=/mnt/4TB-eSATA/wine-staging-316
export WINEVERPATH=$W
export PATH=$W/bin:$PATH
export WINESERVER=$W/bin/wineserver
export WINELOADER=$W/bin/wine
export WINEDLLPATH=$W/lib/wine/fakedlls
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$W/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

export PS1="[\u@\h\[\e[36m\] wine-staging-316 \[\e[m\]\W]\\$ "
So as long as you don't exit that shell instance, now everything points to just that version.

Or is there some management app or script for maintaining /opt/wine-staging, /opt/wine-development, etc. to keep em separated?

(now I have that '90s Offspring song in my head. ugh.)

So can you tell what h2oo has installed and/or if there's anything causing this grief? What is the meta package trying to overwrite and why is it throwing an error? OK sorry don't mean to volunteer you to troubleshoot. Don't feel obligated to answer. :-) Forum conscription muhahahah.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

@SquareAperture
Sorry, I'm not sure if I can answer all your questions. If I start Wine with /opt/wine-<branche>/bin/wine, I can see different versions of wineserver are started. But I don't know how I can find out which WINEDLLPATH is used.

If you want stable, devel and staging from WineHQ you can co-install:

wine-devel
wine-devel-amd64
wine-devel-i386

wine-stable
wine-stable-amd64
wine-stable-i386

wine-staging
wine-staging-amd64
wine-staging-i386
On topic (I don't know the game :oops: )
Does the game make a directory in the home directory where it store some settings? For example Sims create ~/Documents/Electronic Arts/... or F1 2012 use ~/Documents/My Games/... If you reinstall the game in a different WINEPREFIX or Wine-branch I also remove these directory. Only removing the WINEPREFIX isn't enough.
h2oo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by h2oo »

jkfloris wrote: Does the game make a directory in the home directory where it store some settings? For example Sims create ~/Documents/Electronic Arts/... or F1 2012 use ~/Documents/My Games/... If you reinstall the game in a different WINEPREFIX or Wine-branch I also remove these directory. Only removing the WINEPREFIX isn't enough.

It doesn't create such a folder whilst installation. I don't know actually where the game places it savegames. I probably didn't play the game a decade.

Well i did no uninstall/remove every "leftover" wine dependency package and reinstalled the staging-branch

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-staging
but the actuall problem of "doing nothing" whilst trying to run the game DKII.exe is still the same. But again, somehow the error log changed a bit, but further again I'm not really able to use that debug info.
https://gist.github.com/Phenicien/77892 ... f52c104e0f

//ähhmm Yes,first of all SORRY for off-topicing:
I tried for expands just for fun to install Stronghold Crusader (classic, not HD) exactly the same way as i tried to install Dungen Keeper 2 and it's running like a charm just with those parameters:

export WINEPREFIX="/media/daten350/wine/stronghold.crusader1/"
cd /media/daten350/wine/stronghold.crusader1/drive_c
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/media/daten350/wine/stronghold.crusader1/ winecfg
I put it into WIN-XP mode in the winecfg and activated the virtual desktop (because I'm playing it on my "second" monitor with different grafix-resolution in my case 1680x1050) But i cuts so about the height of the taskbar of the window itself on the lower border of the window. Is there a simple "trick" to push the virtual desktop window into fullscreen in a defined resolution on a defined monitor? On the main (but way smaller) integrated laptop screen (primary) it runs without cutting borders in 1920x1080
Attachments
log.zip
(5.02 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Last edited by h2oo on Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

h2oo wrote:... the actual problem of "doing nothing" whilst trying to run the game DKII.exe is still the same. But again, somehow the error log changed a bit, but further again I'm not really able to use that debug info.
https://gist.github.com/Phenicien/77892 ... f52c104e0f
The issue is essentially the same in this log - a crash in the builtin uxtheme.dll library.
Which is what I suspected would happen, and why I did bother to recommend changing your wine package over!
But that's no big deal. 8)

I would recommend changing the name of the log file though, just to be consistent... E.g.: wine-staging-3.17_loaddll_X_seh_log.txt
Otherwise you'll get very confused! :? :shock:

Bob
SquareAperture
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SquareAperture »

This game is before AppData and registry and multi-login, so the saves directory is under the game not any user tree.
<wine_prefix>drive_c/Program Files/Bullfrog/Dungeon Keeper 2/Data/Save/

And hey h2oo, go off-topic all you want, it's your thread. I don't think this will become a reference thread, but once we figure it out, you'll edit the first post and make a summation, just in the case that later on someone finds it in search results; they don't have to read all the back-and-forth.

@Bob: Yea yea yea I know, I KNOW. :oops:

Bob didn't want to try an upgrade because he thinks it's something outside wine that's the problem, that's causing that builtin to throw. Which, given the error and his many years of experience is very likely true. The really frustrating part is, this can't be that complex! It's a very old, very supported DX7 game. It runs on stock wine since, seriously I can't remember. Many years. It's going to be a dumb thing when we figure it out. A video driver issue, some weird mix between hw/vendor and mesa GL, something poorly supported like a acceleration across overlay display when using 2+ screens not independently configured, maybe the optimus/bumblebee nightmare...

You didn't patch your uxtheme.dll did you? It's a common interface style, and since XP people have been making patches for it for their own customized windows styles and themes. There's also more than one virus that attacks via this dll so I must ask - do you know where your copy of DK2 came from? And we need to consider it could be a false error - in windows, if you get a "The file uxtheme.dll is missing" when starting a game or anything that uses 3d acceleration, it usually means a video driver issue. It is possible that's what this is?

This thread is getting long - I'll look back but did you ever post your laptop's specs? Is there a 'hwinfo' equivalent in ubuntu? It's an OpenSUSE thing but many distros have picked it up, I assume ubuntu has it or something like it.
h2oo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by h2oo »

Hmm OK i have some quite fricking news....it works now. Somewhere last week or so there was a new Update for the Staging-Branch available. Today i upgraded it and tried reinstalling/running DK2. And now it suddenly works without a flaw...I'm quite wondering why....