Wine microsoft based game running slow, poor performance

Questions about Wine on Linux
ubey

Wine microsoft based game running slow, poor performance

Post by ubey »

I have managed to install the game Stronghold Crusader with wine on ubuntu 18. The only problem that i have is that game is running very slow even if i change the game setting to play with low graphics settings.

I have also installd nvidia geforce graphics drivers with wine and i also installd graphics drivers on Ubuntu. I have tryd to start the game with argument --opengl (wine Crusader.exe --opengl) but the results are the same.

I found this hint on GOG support

https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articl ... nning+slow

They explaine how to change settings in DocBox configuration. I dont have that file, becouse i have instald with offline GOG files of the game. So hint is helpless for me. I also installd dricertX under wine windows 8.

My hardware specs are:

8 GB of RAM,
Inteld Core i7 @2.50 GHZ
Intern Graphics Intel® Haswell Mobile
Extern Graphics Nvidia Geforce m8 serie 960M
SSD hardrive 500GB

This is just an old strategy game, it dose't requires high hardware specs and yet it runs very slow. My laptop has two graphic cards, one is intern and the other one is extern i use hdmi cable to connect to monitor. I think that the game uses intern graphic instead of extern graphic card.

How can i know wich video card dose the game uses and how can i optimize the perfomance of my laptop for the game to use?
ipkpjersi
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Wine microsoft based game running slow, poor performance

Post by ipkpjersi »

From what I understand, on Linux you can only have 1 active running GPU (at least when talking about mobile GPUs). To check if your current GPU is your NVIDIA GPU or not, you should be able to run the command

Code: Select all

glxinfo|egrep "OpenGL vendor|OpenGL renderer"
and it should give you some indication of this. If you are using the integrated Intel GPU, it might say something like this:

Code: Select all

OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile 
Assuming you have nivida-settings installed, you should be able to open it and change your GPU: Image

Once you have changed the GPU, I believe you need to log out or reboot for it to take effect.