ChaosFree Missing Tabs

Questions about Wine on Linux
JoeWine2018

ChaosFree Missing Tabs

Post by JoeWine2018 »

I would like your help in setting up ChaosFree for use with Wine.

ChaosFree is a freeware version of the Time & Chaos contact management software.

https://www.chaossoftware.com/products.aspx

I have a dual boot Lenovo T510 laptop, Intel i5 cpu, 8 GB ram.
Windows 7 Pro
Linux Mint 17.3

I installed Wine using the Installing WineHQ Package instructions for Ubuntu with the Linux Mint modification.

sudo dpkg -add architecture i386
added the repositiory linking to the Linux Mint 17.x trusty main
installed the Wine development branch
v3.13, now updated to v3.14
/home/<adminuser>/.wine

ran winecfg which installed mono and gecko

I downloaded and installed the ChaosFree application.
v10.1.0.5
ChaosFree icon on the desktop

The install directory is
/home/<adminuser>/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Chaos Software/Chaos Free/chaosFree.exe

Clicking on the desktop icon opens ChaosFree and some functionality is apparent. But, I am missing menu tabs on the tops of the Contacts, Appointment, and Task windows. These tabs are necessary for this application.

The Contact window should have tabs for Main, Notes, Categories, File Shortcuts, Custom Fields, Appointments, Tasks, Linked Contacts, and Properties.

The Appointment window should have tabs for Main, Notes, Repeat Options, File Shortcuts, Categories, Linked Contacts, and Properties.

The Task window should have tabs for Main, Notes, Repeat Options, File Shortcuts, Categories, Linked Contacts, and Properties.

I opened ChaosFree in a terminal window and saw the following text on the screen.

wine chaosFree

p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/p11-kit-trust.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/p11-kit-trust.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
0009:fixme:thread:GetThreadUILanguage : stub, returning default language.
0009:fixme:nls:GetThreadPreferredUILanguages 00000038, 0x32d964, (nil) 0x32d98c
0009:fixme:nls:get_dummy_preferred_ui_language (0x38 0x32d964 (nil) 0x32d98c) returning a dummy value (current locale)
0009:fixme:nls:GetThreadPreferredUILanguages 00000038, 0x32d964, 0x1a1a680 0x32d98c
0009:fixme:nls:get_dummy_preferred_ui_language (0x38 0x32d964 0x1a1a680 0x32d98c) returning a dummy value (current locale)
0009:fixme:wtsapi:WTSRegisterSessionNotification Stub 0x1007c 0x00000000
0009:fixme:uxtheme:BufferedPaintInit Stub ()
0009:fixme:dwmapi:DwmIsCompositionEnabled 0x32f878

The Synaptic Package Manager shows “p11-kit” and “p11-kit-modules” as already installed.
ChaosFree is looking for the p11-kit-trust.so file in the /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11 directory.
But it is located in a different directory
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkcs11/p11-kit-trust.so

So, at this point, I have 4 questions:
1. Do I need to add or modify the existing “pkcs11” or “p11-kit-trust.so”?
2. Do I need to create a symbolic link to the pkcs11 files? If so, how?
3. Am I overlooking some other error from the terminal window?
4. Do I need to use winetricks, and if so, how do I determine which dll or components to install?
Thank you in advance for your assistance.
dimesio

Re: ChaosFree Missing Tabs

Post by dimesio »

JoeWine2018 wrote: The Contact window should have tabs for Main, Notes, Categories, File Shortcuts, Custom Fields, Appointments, Tasks, Linked Contacts, and Properties.

The Appointment window should have tabs for Main, Notes, Repeat Options, File Shortcuts, Categories, Linked Contacts, and Properties.

The Task window should have tabs for Main, Notes, Repeat Options, File Shortcuts, Categories, Linked Contacts, and Properties.
I downloaded the app and installed it in a clean 32 bit wineprefix using wine-3.15. I see those tabs on the top of the windows that appear when you click "New" for Contacts, Appointments, and Tasks, but not in the main display. Based on the screenshots at http://chaos-free.findmysoft.com/screenshot/, that's how it's supposed to look. So I have to ask: are you saying the tabs are missing from the "New" windows on your system?
The Synaptic Package Manager shows “p11-kit” and “p11-kit-modules” as already installed.
ChaosFree is looking for the p11-kit-trust.so file in the /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11 directory.
But it is located in a different directory
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkcs11/p11-kit-trust.so
It's looking for the 32 bit version of p11-kit; you need to install that to get rid of those messages. However, that's unlikely to be the cause of missing tabs, and there was nothing else in your console output that suggested a problem.
JoeWine2018

Post by JoeWine2018 »

I would like to thank dimesio for the prompt reply to my posting and for taking the effort to download and install the ChaosFree application on his system.

Yes, I was missing the tabs on the New Contact, Appointment and Task windows.

Based on his successful installation of ChaosFree, I revisited all of the option settings on my system trying to discover a setup error and I found a likely operator error. I had previously looked at the various “Themes” that were available and I may have inadvertently also selected a blank font. Or, the default font was not available on my system.

Go to “Options” on the top menu bar and drill down. Options >> Options >> Appearance >>Font Name.

The “Font Name” on my system was blank. Selecting any one of the readable listed fonts and clicking OK made the missing tab visible on the 3 screens.

I now have 2 additional question:
1. Do I need to install additional Windows fonts?
2. How do I fix the datestamp entry when adding a Note to a contact.

Font Options
When selecting a font from the Options >> Appearance dialog box, many of the named fonts do not have a valid readable character displayed. Instead they are non alphanumeric symbols. I suspect this is related to not having the Windows fonts installed on my Linux Mint 17.3 system.

Notes Datestamp
The “Notes” (one of the missing tabs) option allow me to add a history note linked to a contact (or appointment or task). There is a “Date/Time” button on the right part of the Notes menu bar. Placing the cursor at a line in the “Note” box and single-clicking on the button adds a date and time stamp to the note. But the datestamp is not formated correctly. You have the option to customized the datestamp by right clicking on the pull down arrow.
It is presently defined as:
Date: “dddd, MMMM dd. yyyy h:mm:ss AM/PM” …
The text displayed when clicking on the button to add a datestamp is (I did this around 2:09 PM).
5a2:09 PM: dddd, MMMM dd, yyyy h:mm:ss AM/PM …

Again, dimesio thank you for your assistance.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

JoeWine2018 wrote:Do I need to install additional Windows fonts?
It's a good idea to install the MS core fonts, either systemwide or in the wineprefix. Many distros have packages that will fetch and install the fonts systemwide. To install per wineprefix, use winetricks corefonts.
How do I fix the datestamp entry when adding a Note to a contact.
File a bug. https://bugs.winehq.org/