Application can't be shut down and stays in background

Questions about Wine on Linux
ottavio
Level 2
Level 2

Application can't be shut down and stays in background

Post by ottavio »

Hi all,

I have two different versions of the same application (QADV, see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30639). Both run from the same 32 bit prefix with default settings.

I need both versions because the questions provided are slightly different.

When I run the newer version al is fine, but when I run the old version, it cannot be shut down and it keeps on running in the background, taking all the desktop space. All I can do to solve the problem is to restart X. If I open a new virtual terminal, I can't find any processes containing either "wine" or "qadv".

Code: Select all

oc@e130 ~ $ killall wine
wine: no process found
oc@e130 ~ $ killall QADV
QADV: no process found
oc@e130 ~ $ killall qadv
qadv: no process found
I tried both applications on Windows 10 and they all run fine.

The only output in the terminal is:

Code: Select all

0040:fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_ActivateKeyboardLayout 0x8090809, 0000: semi-stub!

Thanks
dimesio

Re: Application can't be shut down and stays in background

Post by dimesio »

ottavio wrote: I have two different versions of the same application (QADV, see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30639). Both run from the same 32 bit prefix with default settings.
Which version is causing the problem? I just retested the version I downloaded for your old thread, and don't have any problem shutting it down.
When I run the newer version al is fine, but when I run the old version, it cannot be shut down and it keeps on running in the background, taking all the desktop space. All I can do to solve the problem is to restart X. If I open a new virtual terminal, I can't find any processes containing either "wine" or "qadv".
So what processes are running? Not all Wine processes have "wine" in the name. In my experience, explorer.exe, plugplay.exe, and services.exe can sometimes remain running even after wineserver has shut down.
ottavio
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ottavio »

dimesio wrote: Which version is causing the problem? I just retested the version I downloaded for your old thread, and don't have any problem shutting it down.
The version you have should be v 17.4.2

The other one was given to me in person and is v. 17.3.7.
It's here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cdNRto ... sp=sharing
So what processes are running? Not all Wine processes have "wine" in the name. In my experience, explorer.exe, plugplay.exe, and services.exe can sometimes remain running even after wineserver has shut down.
Well there's a load of processes running, I wouldn't know to isolate the offending one.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

I downloaded the older version and I can't reproduce the problem. It exits as expected when I click Exit and then Exit to Windows. This is in wine-3.13, running from the same 32 bit wineprefix as the newer version.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

ottavio wrote: Well there's a load of processes running, I wouldn't know to isolate the offending one.
If you didn't know it's probably easiest to just do a 'wineserver -k'
https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Crashes_and_Freezes

'killall' by default takes an exact name, if you're going that route try the manpage for that. Or 'pkill'. Probably 'ps' or 'top' as well if you're that new at this. :wink:
ottavio
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ottavio »

@spoon0042

Thanks, I'll try that next time.

In the meantime I've kind of solved the problem by configuring wine to emulate a virtual desktop. This way the application always stays in the foreground. The only drawback is that the application can never go fullscreen but I can live with that.