Why doesn't anything work?

Questions about Wine on Linux
zubedar

Why doesn't anything work?

Post by zubedar »

Hi everyone

I am a recent returner to Linux, after a hiatus of many years. A long time ago, just about everything had to be installed by means of the terminal box, and everything about it was experimental. Sometimes things just worked, and at other times they didn't, and the problem-solving exercise was challenging enough, and if it was too challenging you could post a question on a forum and hope for the best. But, generally, unless you wanted to do raw computing tasks, you couldn't count on Linux for any multimedia (it wouldn't even have drivers for the audio or graphics card most of the time), and the games were pretty bad. :lol:

Now I have an Intel i5-7400. I've installed Ubuntu 18.04.1 on it. So far, so good. It's a very well-developed distro and it's moved along in leaps and bounds. It's as infantile as Windows but much better, starts up faster, is more reliable and secure, etc. Excellent. So I found Wine and installed it, in the hope of running just a couple of old Windows games. These games were:

Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed 2
Assassin's Creed Revelations
Microsoft Age of Empires Gold

I have the original DVDs and the licence codes/permissions for all those games.

To my surprise, there is a program here, which Ubuntu installs painlessly, called PlayonLinux. It's a sort of shell script with its own graphical interface, which has a drop-down list of games it supposedly automatically installs. I had a look at the drop-down list. It has all of the games I listed above, and more! Great! This PoL program supposedly knows the correct Wine version, and then prompts you for permission to download and install it, along with other libraries required to run the games.

I tried it out. It suggested a different Wine version for each game (I don't know anything about Wine but isn't it bizarre that an older version of Wine can run a particular game but a newer one won't?) and a set of libraries to install. I went through with it and allowed it to install what it wanted. But absolutely nothing would run. I then Googled the problem and found instructions on how others had got it working. I followed the instructions to a tee, and tried out various Wine configuration settings, and still nothing worked. I'm content to give up at this point, as I have more entertaining hobbies in my life these days than old-school Linux problem-solving.

But there is something I would like to know. I struggle to understand why Wine shouldn't do what it says it does on the tin. What is there to gain from making claims that PoL + Wine will run every program under the sun, when it demonstrably doesn't? Is it more like about having a vision for the future guiding a project (e.g. an actual Windows emulator) than about having actual functionality? How much problem-solving and research is expected from the end-user?
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Why doesn't anything work?

Post by jkfloris »

Sorry, Play on Linux isn't supported here. Only plain Wine and sometimes Lutris.
You can use the Wine App Database [1] to find tips and tricks how to get your games up and running.

[1] https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... nding=true
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@zubedar
  • PlayOnLinux is no longer in active development.
    See: Github: PlayOnLinux / POL-POM-4.

Allegedly a PlayOnLinux 5 version is being developed...
    Which was originally Java-based and previewed 3 years ago...
    Then the developers switched back to Python...
    Since then all has gone dark... :? :shock:
  • Lutris is far easier to recommend.

The install scripts, for all the supported games, are published on the website and are regularly updated.
    They use modern YAML/JSON, so are cleaner and easier to read - than the POL scripts.

The only major downside for Lutris (IMHO) is perhaps the use of Gtk 3.x toolkit.
As jkfloris stated neither of these 3rd party Wine wrappers is officially supported on this site.
See: WineHQ FAQ: 8.7 I used a third party application (PlayOnLinux, WineBottler, etc.) to install or manage applications in Wine and need help.

At least with Lutris the modifications (patchsets) to stock Wine / Wine Staging are easily available (via third party repositories) and the install scripts are easily accessible (via the web interface).
The optimisations and game-specific fixes that Lutris scripts provide to Wine, are often very useful, even when not using Lutris!

Lutris is under very active development, on Github, and also has a very active issue tracker.

Bob
caetydid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by caetydid »

zubedar wrote:Hi everyone

I am a recent returner to Linux, after a hiatus of many years. A long time ago, just about everything had to be installed by means of the terminal box, and everything about it was experimental. Sometimes things just worked, and at other times they didn't, and the problem-solving exercise was challenging enough, and if it was too challenging you could post a question on a forum and hope for the best. But, generally, unless you wanted to do raw computing tasks, you couldn't count on Linux for any multimedia (it wouldn't even have drivers for the audio or graphics card most of the time), and the games were pretty bad. :lol:

Now I have an Intel i5-7400. I've installed Ubuntu 18.04.1 on it. So far, so good. It's a very well-developed distro and it's moved along in leaps and bounds. It's as infantile as Windows but much better, starts up faster, is more reliable and secure, etc. Excellent. So I found Wine and installed it, in the hope of running just a couple of old Windows games. These games were:

Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed 2
Assassin's Creed Revelations
Microsoft Age of Empires Gold

I have the original DVDs and the licence codes/permissions for all those games.

To my surprise, there is a program here, which Ubuntu installs painlessly, called PlayonLinux. It's a sort of shell script with its own graphical interface, which has a drop-down list of games it supposedly automatically installs. I had a look at the drop-down list. It has all of the games I listed above, and more! Great! This PoL program supposedly knows the correct Wine version, and then prompts you for permission to download and install it, along with other libraries required to run the games.

I tried it out. It suggested a different Wine version for each game (I don't know anything about Wine but isn't it bizarre that an older version of Wine can run a particular game but a newer one won't?) and a set of libraries to install. I went through with it and allowed it to install what it wanted. But absolutely nothing would run. I then Googled the problem and found instructions on how others had got it working. I followed the instructions to a tee, and tried out various Wine configuration settings, and still nothing worked. I'm content to give up at this point, as I have more entertaining hobbies in my life these days than old-school Linux problem-solving.

But there is something I would like to know. I struggle to understand why Wine shouldn't do what it says it does on the tin. What is there to gain from making claims that PoL + Wine will run every program under the sun, when it demonstrably doesn't? Is it more like about having a vision for the future guiding a project (e.g. an actual Windows emulator) than about having actual functionality? How much problem-solving and research is expected from the end-user?
Same thing here, I share your painful experience with PlayOnLinux. That's why I started a similar project called Dolmades to make my GOG games work. It is still very much in its experimental phase and not recommended to end users. I can offer you my help to get your games running in dolmades if you are willing to put yet some testing effort into it. Simply open an issue on my github project page.

Best regards Stefan