Mouse warping problem

Questions about Wine on Linux
zv0n

Mouse warping problem

Post by zv0n »

Hi,
I have a problem with fullscreen games. The cursor sometimes isn't warping to the center of the screen, so when I move the mouse it stops moving in-game as if I hit screen's edge. It's usually resolved by going in the opposite direction a bit or lifting the mouse. I tried running wine with emulated desktop, but that changes from fullscreen into a window when I launch a fullscreen game. Is there a way to fix the mouse behavior?
I'm running wine 3.13 staging on arch linux
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Mouse warping problem

Post by Bob Wya »

zv0n wrote:Hi,
I have a problem with fullscreen games. The cursor sometimes isn't warping to the center of the screen, so when I move the mouse it stops moving in-game as if I hit screen's edge. It's usually resolved by going in the opposite direction a bit or lifting the mouse. I tried running wine with emulated desktop, but that changes from fullscreen into a window when I launch a fullscreen game. Is there a way to fix the mouse behavior?
I'm running wine 3.13 staging on arch linux
Give: uninformativ.de / git : xpointerbarrier ; a try.

Bob
zv0n

Post by zv0n »

Bob Wya wrote:
Give: uninformativ.de / git : xpointerbarrier ; a try.

Bob
Tried it, with the software it's even worse, now the mouse stops after an exact length of travel. Without it it seems rather random. Without xpointerbarrier the mouse movement just randomly locks up and unlocks after a bit of inactivity or movement in different direction.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Good. No really I suspected the easy solution wouldn't work! :lol:

I've seen this issue happen quite often as well.
Most often when I am running a fullscreen game, in a Wine Virtual Desktop, with mouse warping enabled.

There are some Wine bugs against this issue:
Bug 43794 - While mouse warping is in use, a bounding box randomly traps the cursor.
Bug 38420 - Sticky mouse with xinput2

I've not had time to track down potential triggers for this bug.
This is the key factor to getting the issue resolved.

My first thought(s) would be either be a bug:
  • in mouse warping
  • Desktop Environment
or perhaps other (native or Wine) windows stealing focus.

Bob
zv0n

Post by zv0n »

Bob Wya wrote:Good. No really I suspected the easy solution wouldn't work! :lol:

I've seen this issue happen quite often as well.
Most often when I am running a fullscreen game, in a Wine Virtual Desktop, with mouse warping enabled.

There are some Wine bugs against this issue:
Bug 43794 - While mouse warping is in use, a bounding box randomly traps the cursor.
Bug 38420 - Sticky mouse with xinput2

I've not had time to track down potential triggers for this bug.
This is the key factor to getting the issue resolved.

My first thought(s) would be either be a bug:
  • in mouse warping
  • Desktop Environment
or perhaps other (native or Wine) windows stealing focus.

Bob
Hi, sorry for not replying sooner, I was away from internet for a while. I've tried different combinations of things. Anything with mouse warping disabled - mouse works fine until at some point it stops moving in one direction and I have to stop moving the physical mouse for a second to move in that direction again. Mouse warping forced - seems to not have this problem, but the spazmatic jittering makes games unplayable (whenever I move the mouse it moves in like 8 different directions on the screen before moving where I want it to). I tried with virtual desktop and without. Tried running games in fullscreen and windowed fullscreen, no change (except windowed fullscreen in virtual desktop doesn't let the mouse move beyond monitor edge). So I guess I'll still have to fire up a windows virtual machine for gaming
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@zv0n

Please re-test (any affected games) with Wine Staging 3.15 - as it will include this winex11 patchset.
This may not be related to your specific issue - but it sound like it is in the same wheelhouse (spazmatic jittering with mouse warping enabled).

Thanks
Bob