Mouse panning issues in all wine games

Questions about Wine on Linux
salsadoom

Mouse panning issues in all wine games

Post by salsadoom »

So I'm having an issue that seems to be effecting all the games I play in wine. Its mostly noticable with FPS games like Warframe or Killing Floor 2 -- my mouse seems to sometimes hit an "edge" and just won't move a certain direction. It can be any direction left/right or up/down. It doesn't happen all the time, but during a game session it'll happen enough that its troublesome. When the issue shows up jiggling the mouse or just really pushing in that direction "overcomes" the edge.

I haven't figured out why this is the case, but it almost always seems to happen when I'm aiming precisely at something. I thought it might be linked to ADS (aim-down-sights) but I confirmed earlier this was not the case. But I never notice it when I'm just running around. I did a lot of testing on this and its definitely related to fine movements, so fast movements work fine but when I try to move the mouse slowly it happens. -- I looked into this more and its definitely related to slow/fine mouse movements.

Anyone else ever get something like this? These are launched via lutris but it doesn't seem related to it.

I've tried...
  • * Enabling grab mouse from fullscreen in winecfg
    * Disabled second monitor
    * Disabled KDE's desktop effects
    * Wine's Virtual desktop
    * Tried it out in OpenBox to see if it was a DE thing
    * Set mouse override to "forced" (definitely no)
    * Unlikely, but I also tried a totally different mouse.
    * Changed mouse acceleration profile
    * Disabling DXVK and using a stock wine
All my games are using esync 3.13+DXVK 0.63 (now 0.64) on Arch, although I had this with KF2 using older versions as well IIRC. Disabling DXVK and running normally doesn't correct the issue, nor does using a "stock" version of wine. Whatever causes it is present in all versions of wine.

So yeah, I've asked around in a bunch of gaming specific places and haven't had any luck with this so far. Another user on reddit was having the same issue (https://old.reddit.com/r/wine_gaming/co ... ine_games/).

So yeah I'm all out of ideas...
Suros

Re: Mouse panning issues in all wine games

Post by Suros »

Can confirm. I've experienced this in Skyrim, Killing Floor 2, and Warframe. I believe I have a trigger for it too, but not a cause. It seems holding a mouse button down causes this camera barrier to happen. Actually relieved to have it happening to somebody else as I've seen very few reports of this issue. Going to try getting a cheap Logitech mouse (was going to get a couple anyway) and see if it makes a difference. The common factor I'm seeing is the fancy mice.
Suros

Re: Mouse panning issues in all wine games

Post by Suros »

Sorry to double post. My test confirmed it. The Logitech M510 did not suffer from the issue whereas my ROG Gladius did. I even tried bringing the Gladius polling rate down to 250Hz with no change. There's certainly something weird going on here, but what that might be completely eludes me.