Questions about Wine on Linux
mrjayviper
Level 1
Level 1

Ubuntu 18.04: stuck on "Running /usr/bin/wineserver -w"

Post by mrjayviper »

scenario: Trying to install corefonts via winetricks

I tried:

1. wine-stable (from Ubuntu) and winehq-stable (from winehq.org)
2. winetricks (from Ubuntu) and winetricks from github

same result.

To make sure no wine process is running, I:
1. restarted the machine to make sure I don't have an orphan wine process somewhere
2. ran ps aux | grep win[e]

Any ideas? Thank you very much!

screenshot of message

DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Ubuntu 18.04: stuck on "Running /usr/bin/wineserver -w"

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Just to make sure, you clicked ok, right?

Open the taskmanager to see what wine processes are running. If you want you can kill them with "wineserver -k"
mrjayviper
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mrjayviper »

DarkShadow44 wrote:Just to make sure, you clicked ok, right?

Open the taskmanager to see what wine processes are running. If you want you can kill them with "wineserver -k"
yes I clicked ok but it seems it's on an infinite loop.

Well I would've thought "ps aux | grep win[e]" would list all any processes with the word "wine" in it. :) In any case, I "CTRL-C" to stop winetricks and tried "wineserver -k" and then run winetricks again. no difference.

edit: Seems the infinite loop only happens on some fonts. I was able to install Tahoma font.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

mrjayviper wrote:
DarkShadow44 wrote:Well I would've thought "ps aux | grep win[e]" would list all any processes with the word "wine" in it. :)
Well, it does. But not every process started from wine does have "wine" in its name. Just try running "wine notepad" and then "ps aux | grep win" - you won't find it like that.
mrjayviper wrote:In any case, I "CTRL-C" to stop winetricks and tried "wineserver -k" and then run winetricks again. no difference.
I didn't mean it like that. Don't CTRL-C, just let winetricks wait, and in parallel run "wineserver -k" to kill the processes winetricks is waiting on. ;) While not very nice, this should help get it further.
Although an endless wait is probably a bug with winetricks.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

mrjayviper wrote: yes I clicked ok but it seems it's on an infinite loop.

doc static-libsWell I would've thought "ps aux | grep win[e]" would list all any processes with the word "wine" in it. :)
My quick goto Wine process lister is:

Code: Select all

ps aux | grep [.]exe
mrjayviper wrote:In any case, I "CTRL-C" to stop winetricks and tried "wineserver -k" and then run winetricks again. no difference.

edit: Seems the infinite loop only happens on some fonts. I was able to install Tahoma font.
To clarify you want to run:

Code: Select all

wineserver -k
in a different terminal session / tab (with your WINEPREFIX variable exported first).

winetricks has a lot of issues IMHO... It's best to get familiar with workarounds for these... :cry:
If your issue is reproducible, you should probably report it on the Github: winetricks Issue Tracker.

Bob