Unable to install Adobe Acrobat

Questions about Wine on Linux
raj

Unable to install Adobe Acrobat

Post by raj »

Hello all, I cancelled the default installation of gecko because of the internet failure. Now I can not install Adobe Reader. Every time the installer shows that "your system is not modified, try to run installer after some time". I've tried both appdb and direct downloaded versions from adobe website. I need it to read some important pdf documents which are not opening in any other app.
I've tried whatever tricks I could find on the internet. I've also downloaded gecko.msi and put it in a folder in .wine
Please help !
Attachments
This is the error which I am getting everytime.
This is the error which I am getting everytime.
dimesio

Re: Unable to install Adobe Acrobat

Post by dimesio »

raj wrote:I've also downloaded gecko.msi and put it in a folder in .wine
Wine doesn't look for it there. Put it in ~/.cache/wine, which is where the downloader would have saved it. And if you're on a 64 bit system, you need both the 32 and 64 bit msi files.

If you don't have any other programs installed in the wineprefix you've been experimenting with, I recommend deleting it and starting over with a clean one.
raj

Post by raj »

So I've checked .cache/wine and both 32 bit and 64 bit files are already there. What should I do to get Adobe Reader to work ?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

raj wrote:So I've checked .cache/wine and both 32 bit and 64 bit files are already there. What should I do to get Adobe Reader to work ?
@raj

You need WineHQ: Wine Gecko and the version of Wine Gecko required is specific to the Wine version you are using.
Since you haven't stated what version of Wine you are using, I can only guess that you need version 2.47 (because if it is an earlier version of Wine Gecko - then your version of Wine is unsupported).
As dimesio said you need both the 32-bit and 64-bit variants of Wine Gecko for full support.

I think:

Code: Select all

wineboot -u
will probably force an attempt to download and install Wine Gecko.

Not necessarily connected with you error, but generally installing Wine Gecko is pretty essential for many Windows applications (since it functions as a 'surrogate' for Internet Explorer).

Bob
raj

Post by raj »

Tried wineboot -u as well as @bob suggested. No luck.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

raj wrote:Tried wineboot -u as well as @bob suggested. No luck.
What version of Wine are you using?

Bob
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

raj

Post by raj »

@DarkShadow44
I've also tried to install Adobe Reader 11 from wine app database. That too fails to install.