Looking for top scrolling arcade game like Galaga

Questions about Wine on Linux
The Major
Level 1
Level 1

Looking for top scrolling arcade game like Galaga

Post by The Major »

Chromium BSU will no longer work after upgrading to Ubuntu 18.04 (keeps wanting to send error report about problems closing, but it never launches), so looking for a substitute that'll run in the WINdowsEmulator...

Any ideas? Suggestions?
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Looking for top scrolling arcade game like Galaga

Post by DarkShadow44 »

The Major wrote:Chromium BSU will no longer work after upgrading to Ubuntu 18.04 (keeps wanting to send error report about problems closing, but it never launches)
I don't know of alternatives, but if it used to work, I can help you getting it to work again. What did you change during the upgrade? Already tried a fresh WINEPREFIX?

The Major wrote:looking for a substitute that'll run in the WINdowsEmulator...
WINE stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator"
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

DarkShadow44 wrote:
The Major wrote:Chromium BSU will no longer work after upgrading to Ubuntu 18.04 (keeps wanting to send error report about problems closing, but it never launches)
I don't know of alternatives, but if it used to work, I can help you getting it to work again. What did you change during the upgrade? Already tried a fresh WINEPREFIX?
We are taking about a native Linux game, available in most distribution repositories (tsk tsk :lol: ) ... See: Ubuntu Packages: Chromium B.S.U.

Bob
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

The Major wrote: Any ideas? Suggestions?
Your first step is not to post on the WineHQ Forums - when you have a problem with a native Linux game.

That should be file a bug report with Canonical about their chromium-bsu package.

Note your issue may be related to:
Ubuntu Launchpad Bugs:
/usr/games/chromium-bsu:6:_dbus_abort:_dbus_warn_check_failed:_dbus_warn_return_if_fail:dbus_message_new_method_call:SDL_DBus_CallVoidMethodInternal

Bear in mind that Chromium B.S.U. is described as being "dormant" - by the developer on Sourceforge.
That actually means that the project is "dead" - and will gradually start to "compatibility fail" with newer GNU/Linux system libraries.

Bob
The Major
Level 1
Level 1

Post by The Major »

The Major wrote:looking for a substitute that'll run in the WINdowsEmulator...
WINE stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator"[/quote]

....right (keep telling yourself that) :lol:
The Major
Level 1
Level 1

Post by The Major »

Bob Wya wrote:
The Major wrote: Any ideas? Suggestions?
Your first step is not to post on the WineHQ Forums - when you have a problem with a native Linux game.

That should be file a bug report with Canonical about their chromium-bsu package.

Note your issue may be related to:
Ubuntu Launchpad Bugs:
/usr/games/chromium-bsu:6:_dbus_abort:_dbus_warn_check_failed:_dbus_warn_return_if_fail:dbus_message_new_method_call:SDL_DBus_CallVoidMethodInternal

Bear in mind that Chromium B.S.U. is described as being "dormant" - by the developer on Sourceforge.
That actually means that the project is "dead" - and will gradually start to "compatibility fail" with newer GNU/Linux system libraries.

Bob
Thanks Bob for the info... awesome - however, the whole thing on posting "Chromium BSU" was to inform WHY I was looking for a substitute game and let one know what type of game I was looking to substitute for, not post here for help with the pathetic thing - and roger on it being dead (duh!). DID post it with AskUbuntu and got run around worthless answers as usual - so I gave up on the game and now looking for Windoz game similar to it that would run in the WINdowsEmulator... hence posting here.

Still looking for substitute ;-)
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The Major wrote:- so I gave up on the game and now looking for Windoz game similar to it that would run in the WINdowsEmulator... hence posting here.
Then perhaps you should post on the "WINdowsEmulator" forum, wherever that is. This is the Wine forum.
The Major
Level 1
Level 1

Post by The Major »

dimesio wrote:
The Major wrote:- ... that would run in the WINdowsEmulator... hence posting here.
Then perhaps you should post on the "WINdowsEmulator" forum, wherever that is. This is the Wine forum.
more like the "whine" forum? I know Wine is not an emulator, for it is an alcoholic beverage leading to lewdness... ;-)

(what is it about the obsession over using an acronym inside of an acronym? inside of an acronym? inside of an acronym?...) :lol:

...all kidding aside, and ignoring obsessive-compulsive input, I mean really - just looking for a 'suggestion' for a Windoz/Micro$lop game similar to Galaga that runs well with, well, you know... :roll:
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

game similar to Galaga
Is there a reason you don't want the real thing? It is available on Steam, though granted, we have no information on how well it works in Wine.
that runs well with, well, you know...
Try an AppDB search filtered by category or keyword and rating. https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... nding=true
The Major
Level 1
Level 1

Post by The Major »

Try an AppDB search filtered by category or keyword and rating. https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... nding=true
THANKS!!! ...found GUXT after trying there - unzipped it into a playonlonux virtual drive, got shortcut made by playonlonux, and plays great except keeps getting a playonlonux error when I close it :-}

NOTE: link off of the AppBD site is dead - used Webcrawler.com search engine to locate downloadable GUXT file....
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@The Major

Steam: 1982 is worth checking out as well. 8)
It has a really nice free-to-play retro homage, with some neat mechanics.
Plays well, under Wine to!

Bob
The Major
Level 1
Level 1

Steam: 1982

Post by The Major »

I don't do online gaming... but thanks!

My 'really retro' connection is my Windows 98 (1st ed) desktop with a Voodoo 5 video card (3Dfx) which has a bunch of original ATARI stuff and plenty of old DOS arcade CD games ;-)

...just looking for something for the linux box to play a quickie with, and GUXT does it fine... (like Chromium BSU did)
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Steam: 1982

Post by Bob Wya »

The Major wrote:I don't do online gaming... but thanks!
You can play many Steam games, like 1982, totally offline.
You only need Steam+Steam account to install the game.

This game doesn't use any Steam DRM. So:

Code: Select all

cd " ... Steam/steamapps/common/1982"
wine 1982.exe
works in your Steam library.

Be warned though, 1982 is very addictive! It's like the original Galaga game on steroids... 8)

Bob