Elite: Dangerous is crashing when loading shaders

Questions about Wine on Linux
FurretUber
Level 1
Level 1

Elite: Dangerous is crashing when loading shaders

Post by FurretUber »

Hi

I am trying to play Elite: Dangerous version 3.1.2 but the game is crashing when loading the shaders, opening the window to send the error report. It may crash with a black screen, with the logo or with the shader loading screen. The highest value the loading have reached so far is 10%.

The wine version is 3.11-staging, I tried and failed with 3.12-devel too, WINEPREFIX is 64-bit, the operating system is set as Windows 7 and multiple winetricks were required to make the launcher work: dotnet40 dotnet452 quartz corefonts ie8 msls31 vcrun2012 winhttp. Then .Net 4.6.1 was installed and DXVK was built and installed, both without winetricks.

The attached log was created when opening Elite: Dangerous though Steam. The command used was:

Code: Select all

WINEDEBUG=+d3d11,d3d,seh DXVK_HUD=1 WINEPREFIX=$HOME/wine_dxvk/ wine  Steam.exe &> ~/steamelite3.log
Unfortunately the file is too big to upload here, so this is the link to it. I don't know what and where the error(s) responsible for the crash is.

System specifications:
Processor: Intel Core i3-6100U
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 520
RAM: 8 GB
Linux kernel version: 4.17.5
Mesa version: 18.2.0-devel (git-daa78f30b6)
Vulkan version: 1.1.70
Wine version: 3.11-staging
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Elite: Dangerous is crashing when loading shaders

Post by Bob Wya »

@FurretUber

That's clearly a DXVK issue (looking at your terminal log)...
DXVK is a third party project - which is not affilated in any way with Codeweavers / WineHQ.

See: Github doitsujin / dxvk: Issues.
See: Github doitsujin / dxvk: Issues "Elite Dangerous logs and trace #36".

You'd probably want to bear in mind that the Intel ANV driver lacks some features of the AMD and Nvidia Vulkan drivers.
To avoid looking like a "turkey"... You might want to retest your game with the legacy DXVK version.
This has it's own dxvk Git branch - see: Github doitsujin / dxvk: legacy branch.
Before filing a DXVK issue...

Bob
FurretUber
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FurretUber »

Wine updated today to 3.12-staging and I created a new WINEPREFIX. It's very similar to the other, but only does not have DXVK.

It failed in the same stage and the log generated was much bigger. As no paste service can handle it, I have compressed it to xz.
Attachments
winecomum.log.xz
Log compressed (about 14 MB uncompressed)
(255.82 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@FurretUber

Code: Select all

0009:fixme:file:GetLongPathNameW UNC pathname L"\\\\?\\Z:\\mnt\\W10\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\bin\\cef\\cef.win7\\steamwebhelper.exe"
You've not correctly set the WINEPREFIX correctly there.

You can only share Steam Libraries between OS versions.
You cannot share the main Steam binaries / install location.

Steam should currently be overriden to Windows XP compatibility or you'll encounter lots of CEF sandbox hooking errors.

See: WineHQ AppDB: Steam.

Winetricks has a working steam verb (which I've updated with the Windows XP OS overrides) - if you pull the latest Git Master.

Bob