set a default wineprefix

Questions about Wine on Linux
callmejoe
Level 1
Level 1

set a default wineprefix

Post by callmejoe »

is there a way to set the default wineprefix so when i type winecfg or wine uninstaller in terminal it automatically knows which prefix to point to?
dimesio

Re: set a default wineprefix

Post by dimesio »

There's already a default wineprefix, ~/.wine. If you want to change the default to something different, add a line to your .bashrc specifying the path you want.
callmejoe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by callmejoe »

yes i have the default prefix and i also set up a 32bit prefix. when i open a terminal i dont want to have to type the 32bit prefix path with every wine command. can i somehow set it so it just knows? maybe some sort of set environment command?? then i can use that in the .bashrc file maybe
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Just put the same WINEPREFIX=/path/to/wineprefix variable you are already using at the command line into your .bashrc. (Substitute the real path for /path/to/wineprefix.)

Note that if you do this, you will have to type the WINEPREFIX variable to access the ~/.wine wineprefix. There can only be one default.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

Or the other way round: back-up and delete your ~/.wine folder and start wine with

Code: Select all

WINEARCH=win32 wine 
The default ~/.wine, will be a 32bit environment.
callmejoe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by callmejoe »

jkfloris wrote:Or the other way round: back-up and delete your ~/.wine folder and start wine with

Code: Select all

WINEARCH=win32 wine 
The default ~/.wine, will be a 32bit environment.
true. true. it's always the simple answers. :wink: