Building WINE in Ubuntu-based distros

Questions about Wine on Linux
mpmatis

Building WINE in Ubuntu-based distros

Post by mpmatis »

I've been following the Biarch instructions on the wiki (https://wiki.winehq.org/Building_Biarch_Wine_On_Ubuntu) to compile a custom build of WINE with various patches. I've followed the instructions to the letter. Everything goes smoothly until the very end after I exit my lxc container and try to install the 32-bit Wine on my real system. It just complains that I'm trying to install a bunch of 32-bit stuff on a 64-bit system-- which makes sense. I tried pushing through and installing the 64-bit version anyway,. but that just leads to wine not being able to execute anything. What's missing from these instructions? Are they old? is there a new procedure someplace?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Building WINE in Ubuntu-based distros

Post by Bob Wya »

mpmatis wrote:I've been following the Biarch instructions on the wiki (https://wiki.winehq.org/Building_Biarch_Wine_On_Ubuntu) to compile a custom build of WINE with various patches. I've followed the instructions to the letter. Everything goes smoothly until the very end after I exit my lxc container and try to install the 32-bit Wine on my real system. It just complains that I'm trying to install a bunch of 32-bit stuff on a 64-bit system-- which makes sense. I tried pushing through and installing the 64-bit version anyway,. but that just leads to wine not being able to execute anything. What's missing from these instructions? Are they old? is there a new procedure someplace?
I would highly recommend using the Debian Schroot command in place of Linux Containers.
Why, because it's a tried and trusted, simpler technology...
Using an LXC, in this instance, is like taking a sledge hammer to crack a nut... :shock:

I've a Debian / Ubuntu Wine build script for building multilib Syswow64, 64-bit Wine (/ Wine Staging) on Github.
This uses both 32-bit and 64-bit Schroot environments.
So it can also cross-compile for different versions of Debian or Ubuntu.
It also handles directories of additional custom user patches (e.g. Wine-PBA).

After playing around with Debian Schroot environments, for the first time, when constructing this build script...
I have to say I came away very impressed, with the tool that the Debian Developers have created here. 8)

It's on my job list to update the WineHQ Wiki...
But that won't happen till after Wineconf (at the end of the month).
I guess a working build script is probably more useful to folks anyway... 8)

Bob
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

mpmatis wrote:after I exit my lxc container and try to install the 32-bit Wine on my real system. It just complains that I'm trying to install a bunch of 32-bit stuff on a 64-bit system-
Sounds like you didn't enable 32 bit architecture on the host system. You need to, and you will also need to install Wine's 32 bit runtime dependencies, just as you would if installing a package.
mpmatis

Post by mpmatis »

I actually got this working by skipping the step in the wiki that has you install wine32 INSIDE the lxc container. Unfortunately, I seem to have a different problem now. While my build is able to successfully launch applications, it seems that none of the patches I applied to the source seem to have done anything. Almost as if I had not applied them. I'm quite sure I removed all of my previous repository provided wine. I did enable the 32-bit arch on my host.

I'm going to try a few more things and if it goes nowhere I'll tear it all down and try again with the schroot build script.
mpmatis

Post by mpmatis »

Bob,

I'm giving your schroot script a go. FYI, you might want to add another Mint LSB name around line 1987. I'm on the Mint 19 beta, codename "tara". It's based on Ubuntu 18.04 "bionic".
mpmatis

Post by mpmatis »

Ran into a problem with the schroot script. Posted the following issue in github:

https://github.com/bobwya/build-multilib-wine/issues/4
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

mpmatis wrote:Bob,

I'm giving your schroot script a go. FYI, you might want to add another Mint LSB name around line 1987. I'm on the Mint 19 beta, codename "tara". It's based on Ubuntu 18.04 "bionic".
@mpmatis

Ah yes! Thanks... I've merged that info now. 8)

Bob
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

I haven't run into any problems using lxc, but i don't install my custom wine system-wide. I always just install it to be used by a specific WINEPREFIX so i don't mess with the ubuntu repo install.

chroot might use less storage than a lxc container tho.. Might be worth a shot.