Wine Windows Steam Gives "content servers unreachable" error

Questions about Wine on Linux
Darkpyro2
Level 1
Level 1

Wine Windows Steam Gives "content servers unreachable" error

Post by Darkpyro2 »

Hey!

I just switched to Ubuntu full time, and I'm trying to get my windows Steam games running through wine. I'm having an issue getting steam to function, however.

I installed steam through Wine directly, without using winetricks or playonlinux because I was having this issue with those two clients and figured I'd try it without.

Steam loads after the installation, and it allows me to log in, but when I get into the service I have a number of issues. First of all, it immediately kicks me into offline mode.

Next, when I switch it back to online mode and attempt to download any games, I get the error:

Code: Select all

Failed to install gameName (content servers unreachable)
Also, when I log in to the store or my profile, not of it displays.

I have attempted installing the windows fonts and disabling sandboxing through -no-cef-sandboxing when I execute the command

Code: Select all

wine ./Steam.exe -no-cef-sandboxing
And by including the command in the text for the .desktop file

Neither has fixed the issue.

My connection is just fine outside of the wine virtual drive, and the linux version of steam runs as intended.

In my search on this site, I've seen that the store not working properly is a common issue, but I can't find any mention of an inability to install games.
Darkpyro2
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wine Windows Steam Gives "content servers unreachable" e

Post by Darkpyro2 »

Because I don't seem to have the ability to edit the main post, I'll post a correction here.

I've been using "-no-cef-sandbox" and not "-no-cef-sandboxing". That was a typo.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

hello,

First off, for the store not working the flag is -no-cef-sandbox

Hopefully that's an easy fix. :)

For the content server error, a bug was filed here: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=45329

For now there's a workaround given that requires editing a file in the Steam/config directory:

edit: ugh. that's ugly even in a code block. comment #4 has the workaround: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=45329#c4

I don't know if the whitespace matters, here it's four tab characters (0x09) "CS" two tabs and the rest, on one line. Without the ">".

Hopefully that works for the time being. There are a few posts on the Steam discussions about it so who knows, it may be a temporary problem on their end.
Darkpyro2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Darkpyro2 »

Hey!

Thank you so much.

The config edit in the bug report fixed it for me. I couldn't find that upon my own search, but it seems to be exactly what I needed.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

spoon0042 wrote:I don't know if the whitespace matters, here it's four tab characters (0x09) "CS" two tabs and the rest, on one line.
No, that's ignored, it's just for formatting.
spoon0042 wrote:There are a few posts on the Steam discussions about it so who knows, it may be a temporary problem on their end.
Since it works on windows, I kinda doubt that. I assume there's some problem in wine.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

Weird. I swear that guy's second post wasn't there when I made my post.
DarkShadow44 wrote: Since it works on windows, I kinda doubt that. I assume there's some problem in wine.
That's the thing, there's recent posts there with that error on Windows and Mac, could be a coincidence. And when I tried a new wine install here yesterday I didn't have the problem either.

Who knows. :)
winter821
Level 2
Level 2

Post by winter821 »

I know how to fix the store not showing error, but I cannot download games since the most recent ubuntu system update. i use play on linux by the way. add the no-cef-sandbox argument. set it to windows xp mode, and make shure the linux version of steam works. if it does copy add the css file from linux configuration to the windows steam configuration, same place. you have to have a staging version of wine active too.
winter821
Level 2
Level 2

Post by winter821 »

Okay, games install in 32 bit mode for some reason with same settings, but the store will not show, just libreary
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

If I'm reading things correctly the bug causing one or both issues will be fixed in the next wine release, or recent versions of staging already had the patch.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Yes, that's true. However, you need to reinstall Steam for it to regenerate the broken config (or validate the cache, I heard).
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

Could be. I had a few minutes to kill, installed in 3.11, switched to staging, and that apparently did regenerate it.

In any case I would think just deleting that config.vdf file should be enough. (Once you've got a wine version with the fix.)
ruediix

Post by ruediix »

I'm still getting this bug on 3.11 even though it was suppose to be fixed.

I'm running 64bit Wine under Ubuntu Mate edition 17.10
I will try on 32bit Wine in a bit.
ruediix

Post by ruediix »

spoon0042 wrote:Could be. I had a few minutes to kill, installed in 3.11, switched to staging, and that apparently did regenerate it.

In any case I would think just deleting that config.vdf file should be enough. (Once you've got a wine version with the fix.)
Did it work in 3.11 or staging?

It's not working in 3.11 for me.
ruediix

Post by ruediix »

OK, it works now:

What got it to work for me (running Ubuntu Mate 18.04):
1. Install the Wine-Staging package from the Wine repository.
2. Delete Steam/config/config.vdf
3. Load Steam

Thanks guys, you were a big help!
winter821
Level 2
Level 2

Post by winter821 »

That fix i mentioned only worked once, i get that same error through PlayOn linux content server unreachable. how do i fix it? also 3.2 staging, and ubuntu 64-bit ios.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@winter821

See: WineHQ AppDB: Game Tools / Steam.

See: WineHQ FAQ: 6 Using Wine.

You currently require (at minimum) winehq-devel-3.12 or winehq-staging-3.11 just to run Steam.

As I mention on the (above) WineHQ AppDB page...
I'd recommend wiping your Steam install and reinstalling it, with a supported version of Wine.
This is required if you've previously attempted to install a fairly recent version of the Steam Client.
More specifically the Steam Client version which relies on ECDSA certificate verification.

Don't fiddle about deleting Steam's individual configuration files. This is not a fix.
Just wipe Steam, and start again.

You should always use a seperate Steam library location - so that your Steam games are always safely installed in a directory outside of your Steam's WINEPREFIX.
This allows you to have multiple WiNEPREFIX's pointing at the same Steam library.
This is recommended as many games will require different dll overrides and workarounds (which can often clash with each other, when used simultaneously).

Play On Linux is not supported on the WineHQ Site.
With good reason, the version 4 build of POL is unmaintained, as are all of the application installation scripts.
It does not help new Linux user's learn to use Wine properly, it just makes them dependent on POL (which is very outdated).

Bob