SSL/HTTPS Error on Fedora 28

Questions about Wine on Linux
K0NIG

SSL/HTTPS Error on Fedora 28

Post by K0NIG »

Hey guys! I've been digging around the wiki due to an SSL/HTTPS error I've been getting when trying to hook up an MMORPG on Fedora 28. I went ahead and installed the winehq-stable version from the Fedora 27 repo, grabbed the rpmfusion repo both free & nonfree, and ran dnf upgrade via this guide: https://wiki.winehq.org/Fedora

Now since Fedora has binaries I figured there would be no need to compile it myself, but from multiple articles on here with other people experiencing SSL/HTTPS issues I figured it would be worth a shot to ask being as I haven't seen anyone else experiencing it on the Fedora distro and they all seem to go back as far as 2010. Do I need to compile wine myself to fix this error?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: SSL/HTTPS Error on Fedora 28

Post by Bob Wya »

K0NIG wrote:... Do I need to compile wine myself to fix this error?
I've no idea what you're talking about! What error? :?

Please post the terminal output from Wine...
See: WineHQ FAQ: 10.1.1 How can I get a debugging log (a.k.a. terminal output)?
... if you are unclear how to do this.

If you're posting any terminal commands or logs in a forum post please use the forum Code tags:

Code: Select all

I AM CODE
to delimit this!

Thanks
Bob
K0NIG

Post by K0NIG »

Sure thing:

[k0nigwulf@localhost boot]$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEDEBUG=-all WINEPREFIX=~/.ffxiv wine ffxivboot.exe
[k0nigwulf@localhost boot]$ [0616/002610:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(160)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 8
[0616/002610:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(160)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 8
K0NIG

Post by K0NIG »

Update on this, I'm not sure why this happens but those error messages don't seem to be causing the HTTPS 404 error pop-up inside wine. The problem was using: WINARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.ffxiv wine ffxivboot.exe

I was using a guide to get this game going by a user called GloriousEggroll and he was using Arch Linux distro, so I can only speculate that using that command above is something necessary for Arch Linux.

In Fedora 28, it just wanted me to be inside the directory with the boot file and to type out: wine ffxivboot.exe

I'm uncertain if this solution fixes all games ran on Fedora 28 or if it's specific to ffxiv in general, but I figured it worth a mention in case someone else runs into the issue on Fedora.

When debugging I still get errors, including the one posted above, but the game runs. The problem now is FPS, which is a separate issue I'll make in another thread. For now I'd consider this issue fixed?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

K0NIG wrote:Sure thing:
WINEARCH=win32 WINEDEBUG=-all WINEPREFIX=~/.ffxiv wine ffxivboot.exe
...[/code]
@K0NIG

It's not helpful to post Wine terminal output with:

... WINEDEBUG=-all ...
because that disables all Wine debugging output, on the terminal...
This env variable would generally only be set to -all , purely to improve performance...
But only when your Windows game is actually running OK!

WINEARCH=win32 ...
The architecture of a Wineprefix (32-bit or 64-bit) is set when it is first created.
After a Wineprefix is created, e.g. with:

WINEARCH=win32 wineboot -u
Then it it is not necessary to keep re-specifying the WINEARCH env variable, each time.

Your subsequent post is a bit garble...
So it's not clear if you were using the WINEDEBUG env variable or not... :?

Bob