Missing screen elements in CAD program.

Questions about Wine on Linux
Tyranna

Missing screen elements in CAD program.

Post by Tyranna »

I am using Mastercam 9.1 CAD/CAM software in Wine running in Windows XP mode. (32Bit Prefix) (Ubuntu 16.04.04)
I have a VirtualBox with WindowsXP running on it with this installed and it runs correctly when hardware acceleration is off.

What is not working is:

- cursor snap positions when hovering over elements. (lines and circles on the screen)
- an XYZ axis symbol that rotates with the current orientation of the current view
- a selection box that is created with the left mouse click hold drag operation.
- geometry creation previews ex: create line: pick a point : left-click : pick another point

In all instances, you can see a flickering representation of these while moving.
For example:
1.) If I hover over a snap point, I will see the snap symbol appear , but then it immediately disappears.
If I wiggle the mouse over the same position , the snap will appear and disappear repeatedly.
2.) If I rotate the view dynamically ( which is done by holding the mouse button down and dragging the mouse ) I can
see the XYZ axis symbol flickering. When I stop moving the mouse, the symbol disappears.
3.) The mouse selection box that is formed when left-mouse-click-drag is performed is visible when dragging (flickering), and then
when mouse motion stops, it then disappears.
4.) When creating a line , the preview of the like flickers , and unless there is motion , disappears until more motion.

I have tried many things to address this including installing directx , 64bit prefixes , registry entries for OpenGl and X11, and many more
I cannot remember now.

There is check-box option in the application to use OpenGL that has an effect on the visuals.
When Use OpenGl is checked:
- 1 3 and 4 still fail but 2. the XYZ axis marker is never visible even when rotating.
When Use OpenGl is unchecked:
- 1 2 3 and 4 work as described above , but all the other things on the screen dissapear and act like 1 2 3 and 4.
- Speed is increased dramatically when rotating/moving

Interesting is that when , for example , I hover over an object and the snap appears , then disappears , the image of the objects under the
snap are not corrupted , which means its repainting , but without the image of the snap overlay.

Also interesting is that the image of the objects on the screen are not as solid looking as they should, maybe they are being shaded.

My un-expert speculation is that the screen repainting is being controlled by the application in a way that does not allow it to repaint the screen.
If that was the case, in the example of the dragging a selection window , the application would lock repainting the screen while changing it manually. But, since that lock is not operating, the screen gets repainted and the "special" items , in this example, the selction box , gets painted over , which causes it to flicker.

I have not found the appropriate information to be able to modify this behavior. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Tyranna

Re: Missing screen elements in CAD program.

Post by Tyranna »

Looks like a DDRAW problem like bug 2082 and 2467...