install wine32 schroot git build on amd64 debian stretch

Questions about Wine on Linux
HankWiner

install wine32 schroot git build on amd64 debian stretch

Post by HankWiner »

Successfully built wine64 on Debian Stretch amd64
Used schroot to build i386 build wine32-tools, wine32.
Set the --with-wine-tools=../wine32-tools --with-wine64=../wine64 for the wine32 build after a successful build of wine32-tools.
Built and Installed successfully in schroot environment.
Exited the schroot and tried to install the wine32 build in the 64 bit environment.

Essentially, just followed the instructions for building and installing on the building instructions wiki for biarch using schroot.

I receive the following error message (sorry, it's in Spanish):
gcc -o libwine.so.1.0 casemap.o collation.o config.o debug.o ldt.o loader.o mmap.o port.o sortkey.o string.o \
wctype.o version.o -shared -Wl,-soname,libwine.so.1 \
-Wl,--version-script=../../../../src/wine/libs/wine/wine.map ../../libs/port/libwine_port.a -ldl \

/usr/bin/ld: la arquitectura i386 del fichero de entrada `casemap.o' es incompatible con la salida i386:x86-64
Which basically translates: the i386 architecture of file casemap.o is not compitable with the i386:x86-64 format.
There follows a list of about 32 error messages duplilcating the last line quoted above.

I tried just copying the schroot build install to my amd64 install prefix. The non-gui i386 executables work, but the gui i386 will not work. Something about the system cannot create a window, no winx11drv1 support and no libfreetype support. These are both compiled into the schroot build: freetype and x support are enabled.

Just looking for some tips on installing the wine32 build in the 64 bit environment. Stuck. 64 bit apps work finie, 32 bit gui apps will not work. I suspect that perhaps the gcc variable must be set for 32bit and the ld target variables need to be set. But not sure.
HankWiner

Re: install wine32 schroot git build on amd64 debian stretch

Post by HankWiner »

Well, the install is ok with just copying the files over from the schroot 32 bit environment. Compiled a couple gui x86 apps (ioq3 and gvim) and they ran fine. So, I guess the documentation describing the biarch with schroot could be updated. Don't expect the 64 bit install of the 32 bit build to work. Just copy the schroot files over to the 64 bt prefix of the wine64 build and then install the wine64 build. Seems like everything is working now. Now have a working Biarch Setup on Debian Stretch AMD64!
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@HankWiner

I've got a Debian / Ubuntu bi-arch build script on Github that also uses dual Schroots - like your attempt.
See: Github: bobwya / build-multilib-wine

TBH you are right. The WineHQ Wiki documentation about this process is pretty awful...
It doesn't even mention the amazing Schroot tool - which I was very impressed by!
Far lighter weight then using a container (why even suggest this??!!) and much easier to setup.

The poor documentation was the motivation behind writing the script originally, since I actually use Gentoo day-to-day personally.
Novice users kept post on these forums about Wine issues, which ultimately could only be resolved by building a patched version of Wine.
The novice users quickly gave up trying to multi-lib Wine on Debian/ Ubuntu, due to it's crippled 32-bit multilib development library support.
The irony is - that you used to be able to build multi-lib Wine, on Debian/ Ubuntu, quite easily about 8+ years ago... Go figure... :roll:

Bob
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Bob Wya wrote: TBH you are right. The WineHQ Wiki documentation about this process is pretty awful...
So why don't you update it? The wiki depends on knowledgeable users taking the time to do that.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

dimesio wrote:
Bob Wya wrote: TBH you are right. The WineHQ Wiki documentation about this process is pretty awful...
So why don't you update it? The wiki depends on knowledgeable users taking the time to do that.
Hmm, I'd love to - but I don't have the required Admin access for my WineHQ Wiki account.

I'm also not clear why the Wiki page is written specifically for Ubuntu users...
The problem essentially stems from a decision the Debian developers made around 2010, to drop critical multi-lib 32-bit development libraries, that Wine depends on.
Since Debian and Ubuntu (Debian's downstream) have identical issues building Wine, really the WineHQ Wiki guide should target both distributions...

Just my $0.02... 8)
Bob
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Tell me your wiki name and I'll give you edit rights.

The page was written for Ubuntu users because the person who wrote it was an Ubuntu user. Making the instructions more generic for all Debian-based distros is fine.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

dimesio wrote:Tell me your wiki name and I'll give you edit rights.

The page was written for Ubuntu users because the person who wrote it was an Ubuntu user. Making the instructions more generic for all Debian-based distros is fine.
Ah, sure... I previously created a user: Bobwya for the WineHQ Wiki.

Thanks!
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Done. You can create pages and edit any pages that aren't protected.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

dimesio wrote:Done. You can create pages and edit any pages that aren't protected.
Great thanks! 8)

Bob
HankWiner

Post by HankWiner »

Successfully built a biarch awhile back on Debian 8 without chroot using the following process:
(1) Install the build dependencies and build the wine64,
(2) Add the i386 architecture to your 64 bit system. Can't remember if I did this first or later. Install i386 libraries and the i386 build dependencies.
Doing this will prompt you to remove conflicting 64 bit build dependencies for your 64 bit build. Apparently, with Debian several of the 64 bit build dependencies are not allowed to coexist with your 32 bit build dependencies. This is a pain. But does not prevent you from building the 32 build of wine. Build your wine32-tools, build your wine32, and install the wine32 build.
(3), Install the wine64 build.

At this point you should have a successful build of the bi-arch wine on 64 bit debian. However, if you want to build the 64 bit build after updating your git source code, you'll have to re-install the 64 bit libraries and dependencies again. This will involve removing the conflicting 32 bit build dependencies from your wine32 build. This, as I said before, is a pain. Especially, if you don't have a fast internet connection or don't have an internet connection. As was my case .... I had the complete Blu-Ray collections of both the i386 and amd64 architectures.

I suspect that this will not be a problem ten years from now. By then another generation of geeks will not care if they have 32 bit wine. They will have 128 bit wine and have to build a biarch of 64 bit and 128 bit wine.